Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeated Errors: Hardware?

Repeated Errors: Hardware?

Hello-

I have posted this on the MSI site and I hope you won't mind if I solicit your help here as well. I have a variety of errors which are causing lockups on my system, and almost daily "errors" when using IE. Seems like something is awry when my system goes to sleep and wakes back up. The following errors appear in my Event viewer System Error log.

Error Date Time Source Category Event ID
    Error 8-Oct 7:24 System 102 1003
    Error 8-Oct 7:24 System 102 1003
    Error 8-Oct 7:23 System 102 1003
    Error 7-Oct 12:30 acpi None 4
    Error 7-Oct 12:30 acpi None 5
    Error 7-Oct 9:09 MrxSmb None 8003
    Error 7-Oct 9:00 fasttx2k None 9
    Error 6-Oct 12:51 acpi None 4
    Error 6-Oct 12:51 acpi None 5
    Error 5-Oct 1:47 acpi None 4
    Error 5-Oct 1:47 acpi None 5

IE was open & in use for the Oct. 8th errors. These errors were generic and referenced an "Unknown device driver" without providing any details. The system did not lock up.

The approx 9 AM Oct. 7th errors occurred while the system was idle & in standby mode. When I returned about 12:30 PM & hit the keyboard/mouse, the system froze. I needed to powerdown & reboot, but the system came back up. Note the fasttx2K Promise driver is referenced.

The Oct 5th errors occurred immediately after system went into standby. I woke up the next morning & was unable to bring up system. Eventually I rebooted the system reported failure on the RAID1 array. I recovered by checking drives with SeaTools; sweeping with Norton; and using sfc scannow command. No problem found with my SATA drives. I then reimaged RAID drive 2 to RAID 1 drive and system operation returned to normal.

Any comments or suggestions regarding these errors? While I suppose these could be a WinXP issue, I also note each error refernces hardware: ACPI, fastx2K, or "unknown driver error." AS of 10 days ago, My drivers are current, incl BIOS ver 2.3 for MB and ver 1.29 for Promise Controller; and Intel MB driver up-to-date as well.

Only devices I feel might be nonstandard are: (a) Soyo 6:1 card internal flash card reader, plugged into USB ports on my MB; and (b) PCI-based USB card. Rest, I believe are std cards/devices with signed drivers.

I posted this on the MSI link and someone suggested I may have an problem my IRQ's. I listed these below.

IRQ's:
    IRQ 0 System timer
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2)
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1)
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    IRQ 9 Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM SMBus Controller - 24C3
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
    IRQ 16 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 16 CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
    IRQ 17 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 17 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Host Int OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
    IRQ 18 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
    IRQ 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    IRQ 19 WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller
    IRQ 20 Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Thanks for you time; I know this is lengthy, so thx for reading.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I have honestly not ever seen IRQ issues cause problems or lockups entering, during, or when waking from "standby". Typically, at least in my experience, it has been caused by a driver that does not support the ACPI functions as fully as the OS.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I noticed this article regarding Windows XP and hibernate mode. This may be what is causing the problem.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 331958

I reviewed the KB article, Stripe; thx. I boot off two 120 GB SATA drives, and the KB article references an ATAPI drive, and all is fine on my 160 GB (ATAPI?) drive. Maybe I can just install the file, though, and see? I"ll read more and get back to you. THX. Update below.

At least two of my errors, EVENT IDs 4 and 5, are causes by placing the system into hibernate mode. In deference to MSI board suggestion, where IRQ conflict was thought to have triggered prob, I pulled both PCI cards, but prob persists. I put my 'puter into standby mode, then resurrect it, and I see Event log errors as listed below:
    Error Source Category Event ID
    Error acpi None 4
    Error acpi None 5

Error Description:
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Comments on these ACPI errors and their possible source? Care to interpret that error message?

To help my friends here (and ultimately myself!) in diagnosing system problems, I thought I'd list errors and their frequency in the last 30 days:

# FREQ ID Source
    1 18 4 ACPI-triggered by standby mode
    2 18 5 ACPI-triggered by standby mode
    3 10 1003 System - ino significant info given
    4 10 8003 MrxSMB
    5 7 1002 DHCP - network lease denied
    6 6 8032 Browser - fail to retrive backup list too many times
    7 4 9 fasttx2k - did not respond within timeout.
    8 4 4321 Netbit - Did not allow IP address to register

Error 8003 Description:
    The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{FA4C6B36-F016-4D23-90FD-E564600D7860}.

Error 9 Description:
    The device, \Device\Scsi\fasttx2k1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Several of the above are not relevant but were listed for completeness. Yes, I have a home network. THX.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

First a Question - Which OS are you using?

You will have to find a way to reduce the number of variables. I am sure that you have tried most of these steps. They are listed, just in case you have missed one. You have a lot of equipment on this system, so it will take a while. Make sure you have driver disks before you start.

Check all cable connections. Make sure cards are seated properly.

Boot into safe mode.
    This will boot with minimum drivers. See if problem exist.

Disconnect any new hardware (one item at a time), remove the item from device manager and test your machine. If the problem goes away, you will know the item causing the problem. At that point, it will be the item itself, the connection, or the driver.

If you have more than one stick of memo, try removing one and testing the machine. If problem still exists, use the same procedure on other memory sticks. If you have a bad stick of memory, it should show up here.

The ACIP error message would make me want to check the CDROM or CDRW early in the process. Unplug and remove from device manager. BIOS setting may also have to be changed. Then test.

Good luck.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

THX EFC.

My OS is Win-XP, and also, I cannot boot/test in Safe mode, because I cannot put the system into hibernate mode from Safe Mode. Safe mode disables hibernate and putting my system into hibernate and recovering is my test method. My problems, maybe even all of them, result from me putting the system into hibernate mode. Hibernate mode seems capable of generating almost all the errors I listed above.

1. WinXP-Home.
    2. Can't put system into Safe mode & test; see above.
    3. Cables/connections OK.
    4. Mem sticks & disabling devices is a good idea. Question, though:

Can I simply disable the driver when I remove the device or must I actually delete the driver. Geez, I hope I don't have to delete the drivers; as you know, putting drivers on the system is a pain, especially with lots of HW.

One other comment: When I get some of the more signifcant/troublesome errors, my drives start to spin up. I hear them; then there is a long delay where the system "fights" to bring itself up. Maybe my Seagate SATA drives don't like hibernate mode? Hmm.

It will take some time for me to fight through this so maybe I'll report in a week or so. THX.

Scott

Isolated to RAID1 array/component?

3 10 1003 System - ino significant info given
    4 10 8003 MrxSMB
    5 7 1002 DHCP - network lease denied
    6 6 8032 Browser - fail to retrive backup list too many times
    7 4 9 fasttx2k - did not respond within timeout.
    8 4 4321 Netbit - Did not allow IP address to register

I now believe the problem is associated with a component in my RAID1 array: Seagate SATA drives, the driver, or my Promise Controller on the MB. Let me explain:
    1. Swap in new SATA cables; errors still appear when system put into hibernate mode.
    2. Remove PCI cards, disable WD hard drive/disconnect; disconnect floppy & disable driver; disconnect ethernet & disable controller; disconnect several USB devices. Still have errors.

I will install a Promise PCI card, 4-port RAID and begin testing the RAID1 array from and see if I endup with the problem.

Comments welcome. This sure is taking a lot of time/energy.

THX.

Scott

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    This is just a longshot but have you tested your memory with memtest86?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is just a longshot but have you tested your memory with memtest86?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conan-

Thx for your interest. No, I never would've thought this could be a memory problem. I'll take your suggestion, however.

I mentioned below that I'd install a Promise PCI card, with RAID1 SATA capability. I wasn't able to get the card working; it kept crashing my system. Another alternative is to install the OS on my 160GB Western digital drive. I expect this will work and may suggest whether my hypothesis is correct: soemthing wiht drives or Motherboard controller/driver.

Also, recall I say I log errors in the event logger 75% of the time when I go to standby and I believe these errors are a part of my problem where intermittently I have problems resurrecting the system. Earlier I used the hibernate, but really I mean when I put the system into "standby."

I'll let you know....

Scott

memtest86

Took the advice & ran memtest86, Ver 3.0 Problem is I have no idea what to do with the test result info. After completing the 8 default tests, I had 30,000 reported errors, but I don't know what to do with this info. I have 2 GB of memory so 30,000 errors of 2 GB is 15 PPM or 99.9985% good. Is this acceptable or do I have a problem? I kept waiting for a "score" to be reported, a "pass" or a "fail"; or something. But that didn't happen.

How do I know if I have a problem and if so, what do I do about it? Swap memory modules? I searched the net & the memtest site, but info was very limited.

I'll run again and report the # errors on each test. The above # is total # of errors in the 8 tests. Some tests produced considerably more errors than other tests.

Thx.

Scott

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Re: memtest86

Originally posted by smartin22
    Took the advice & ran memtest86, Ver 3.0 Problem is I have no idea what to do with the test result info. After completing the 8 default tests, I had 30,000 reported errors, but I don't know what to do with this info. I have 2 GB of memory so 30,000 errors of 2 GB is 15 PPM or 99.9985% good. Is this acceptable or do I have a problem? I kept waiting for a "score" to be reported, a "pass" or a "fail"; or something. But that didn't happen.

How do I know if I have a problem and if so, what do I do about it? Swap memory modules? I searched the net & the memtest site, but info was very limited.

I'll run again and report the # errors on each test. The above # is total # of errors in the 8 tests. Some tests produced considerably more errors than other tests.

Thx.

Scott
    So that's the source of all your problems! I'm assuming you have voltage adjustments option for your memory in your BIOS? You have to raise your memory's voltage until there are no more errors with memtest. I suggest raising them in .5 volt increments then trying it out with memtest and repeat the cycle until there are no more errors or at least they are 30 or less. If the voltage adjustment is not the answer then you have to test your memory stick by stick to trace if there are faulty modules.

Another source of errors could be wrong memory timings. Check the manufacturers site for suggested timings and voltage settings.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    here is a good site for acpi http://www.acpi.info/. with my asus board I was having issues installing xp and after the install had some unstabilities...until I disabled acpi in my bios ever since everything has been running smooth.

quote from there site:

ACPI evolves the existing collection of power management BIOS code, Advanced Power Management (APM) application programming interfaces (APIs, PNPBIOS APIs, Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) tables and so on into a well-defined power management and configuration interface specification.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i was under the impression that if you disable acpi in your bios and install windows xp your computer will be incapable of real udma transfer speeds and in the device manager under system, your computer will be known as a standard computer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    thats the aspi....apci is for power management

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hehein the early days of xp we had a motherboard that could ot get udma enabled and in the device manager the computer was listed as a standaed computer. After seareching through google it was noted that you need to turn acpi or ???? in the power managment to on and re-install xp to enable this feature.

This was indeed the cause and fixed the machine.

BTW
    this was already a fresh install of XP that had the problem and it solved the problem
    it is listed as ACPI in device manager under computer

anyone know where this name is found in their bios?

interesting info
    http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q39...m=5&topic=1220

quote from another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    with acpi set to 'only' in the bios you'd need to repair the current installation of windows for the change to be recognised, and for the hdd's to actually run in udma and not pio mode.
    if power management has always been disabled in the bios, since the pc was first made i reckon both hard drives are running slower than they should be.

i had this same problem when i made my m810 system, couldn't figure out what power management has to do with transfer rates for ide devices but i think it's a bug in the bios, also don't think new bios' fix it unfortunately.

-----
    A7N266-VM - XP2100 @ 166 * 13 M810 7.1 - XP1600 @ 10.5 * 140
    A7A266-E - Athlon 1400 @ 10.5 * 138
    M741LMRT - PIII-450 @ 124 * 4.5 (till I have a power cut)

Total Posts: 188 | Joined Mar. 2003 | Posted on: 4:37 am on Aug. 13, 2003 | IP
    ------------------------------------------------------------