Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD drives not working

Question CD drives not working

A while back my system had the Blaster and Welchia viruses. I used the appropriate removal tools and antivirures quarantines to remove them, although it took a couple of days b/c the system kept getting reinfected. During this period, my cd-rw (HP 1208) began making fuzzy, static-like noises and the disc-in and writing lights were continuosly switching on and off. It eventually shut up and died, it seems, along with the manufacturers generic cd drive, b/c the computer does not acknowledge the drives. The cd drive will open but will not read a cd; the cd-rw drive will not even open.

I've been inside the system to reseat the connections and I attempted to find drivers to reload, but cannot locate any online.
    I was told that the virus removal program probably also deleted the driver files. Anybody got an idea of what's going on, and how to fix it? I really could use my cd drives again.

Thanks.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi crys,

i would turn off the computer and disconnect both drives.

Now i would install the cable to the one that powers on and see is windows detects it.

Now remove tht drive and plug the bad one in and power up and op[en the door

see if windows detects it
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you might want to try to del the drives altogether in device manager and reboot and let windows redetect them. This could possibly help. not sure though.

Re: CD drives not working

Originally posted by Crys
    During this period, my cd-rw (HP 1208) began making fuzzy, static-like noises and the disc-in and writing lights were continuosly switching on and off. It eventually shut up and died, it seems, along with the manufacturers generic cd drive, b/c the computer does not acknowledge the drives. The cd drive will open but will not read a cd; the cd-rw drive will not even open.
    Thanks.
    this sounds like a stuck drive and the best way to trouble shoot this is to eliminate the obvious question.
    "what the heck is wrong with the cdrw drive?"

removing both cd drives and hooking up the good one first and starting windows will tell us if it really is a windows problem or hardware problem

if the cdrw was the problem we will note that windows detected the other drive fine.

now we hook up the cdrw by itself and power up and try to open the door.

if door will not open we must see if power is on the drive itself.
    if the drive light is on our you know it is getting power you will need to try the pin trick to open the door and see what the problem is.

etc etc etc...........

I had thought my original post was long enough, so I neglected to write that I have already tried all of your suggested options, thanks anyway.

It's a hit or miss situation everytime I boot up the computer. Device Manager/My Computer usually does not recognize the drives; maybe 2 out of 5 boots it will list the drives, and that's when I get happy and start trying to open the drive, eject discs, put in a cd, etc..., then the drives will disappear again.

If I disconnect the drives and reboot, Windows still does not detect new hardware.

The power seems to be working b/c the drive lights come on intermittently. I pulled the cover off of the cdrw, and there isn't a disc inside.

It has got to be the most confounding thing..., and nothing $70 can't buy me out of, I guess, but I hate not being able to resolve this ( and I'm broke).

I can't decipher if it's the cd-drives or the the os.

Anymore suggestions will be greatly appreciated, a suggestion that works and I'll love you forever.

Re: Re: CD drives not working

Originally posted by egghead

removing both cd drives and hooking up the one htat will open the door.
    go to your bios screen in your computer by pressing delete key when you turn on the power.
    Do you know how to enter the bios?

make sure your single cd drive is listed in the bios as cdrom.
    if that checks out save and reboot to windows.

if not check auto select to detect your cd rom drive.

you can also change cables to and check your jumper settings.

try this first and let me know what you see.

egghead

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What version of windows are you running?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Try installing the latest INF drivers for your motherboard.

Egghead, I'll check the bios settings tonight, thanks.

Rik, I'm running Windows XP.

Conan, what's an INF driver and where can I find the downloads? Are they specific to the motherboard or are they generic?

I also suspected the data cables. Could they just burn out all the sudden and stop working though, as seems to be the case?

Ya'll are great, keep 'em coming!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Could they just burn out all the sudden and stop working though, as seems to be the case?

Not likely...but not impossible. I have seen optical drives disappear after uninstalling Roxio SW. Have you done anything like that?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Crys
    Egghead, I'll check the bios settings tonight, thanks.

Rik, I'm running Windows XP.

Conan, what's an INF driver and where can I find the downloads? Are they specific to the motherboard or are they generic?

I also suspected the data cables. Could they just burn out all the sudden and stop working though, as seems to be the case?

Ya'll are great, keep 'em coming!
    An .INF driver mainly identifies the chipset of the motherboard. What's your CPU and Motherboard?

An .INF driver mainly identifies the chipset of the motherboard.
    Yup you said it right Conan. I had my Hard-Drive reformatted and Windows XP reinstalled yesterday and when I had Catalyst 3.8 installed for my ATi Radeon 9800, I kept wondering why SMARTGART kept on setting my AGP speed to 4x, a terrible insult to the graphics card's power. I finally got the computer manufacturer's resource CD and installed the driver for my MB's chipset and it went back to 8x. I guess it most important to make sure that the driver for the chipset is installed to prevent all these problems.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Sorry it's taken so long to check things out and get back to you. No progress, unfortunately. I checked the BIOS settings, and the primary master drive was set to the hard drive, the secondary master drive, primary slave drive, and secondary slave drive were set to Auto. I set the secondary master drive to CD, and rebooted. A screen appeared stating that the drive or file could not be found.

I didn't have Roxio installed, but like I said before, the drives stopped working when I was deleting all of the viruses and worms from the system. So it seems something important got deleted along with them.

The system is an HP Brio (400 I think) running Windows XP. I'm still not clear on how to find the ITF drivers for the motherboard.

Thanks.

the first and most iportant staep is to determine if your drives are showing up in the bios.

I feel very strong about the fact that you cannot damage your cd drives by deleting every file on your hardrive and floppy drives.

you hould have the settings on auto detect and look at the startup screen on your computer to see if it shows a cd rom drive as being found.

if the bios cannot see your drive you can forget about this being a windows problems.

you can download a windows 98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com

create the floppy disk and boot the computer with your floppy.
    you will get a selction menu asking you if you want cd support.
    select yes and watch the boot screen for your cd drive.

eggghead, BIOS is not detecting the cd drives. I already have a boot disk, so I'll try your suggested procedure tonight. Using a 98 bootdisk on XP is okay?

Thanks.