Thread: Norton Remover

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Norton Remover

Mirror 1:
    http://jackpot-web.com/temp/n_remover.rar

Mirror 2:
    GET THE NORTON REMOVER 2.07
    Description:
    Nortons Remover, completey remove all traces of nortons.
    A USEFUL tool to remove Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security from your PC.
    Last edited by Big Booger; January 15th, 2005 at 04:32 AM.

Updated with a working link. (mirror 2)

Everyone should remove Norton - hooray for Norton Remover!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    Everyone should remove Norton - hooray for Norton Remover!
    Disagree with you there. Hasn't let me down yet

Wuz only kidding

Though to be honest if it did let you down you probably wouldn't know as most virii do little to actually harm your machine they usually just slow it down a bit.
    I regularly test virus scanners with real virii that I get from my infected customers and trust me Norton is not that great - especially when it comes to Trojans and Adware which it often either will not detect at all or detects then fails to do anything about. You need a large armoury and a flexible attitude to deal with all the crap that is out there, there is no one product that catches all. I repaired a mans laptop the other week and he said he had no antivirus and had never had a virus, I found 140+ infected files with 7 different virii. He only brought it in to get a VPN set up.

Thinking you are safe is not the same as being safe.

Coming to you from FireFox 0.7 on Knoppix STD 1.0 - live and direct - HDDs on 'read only' try infecting me now you lowdown internet malware peddling scum.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Though to be honest if it did let you down you probably wouldn't know as most virii do little to actually harm your machine they usually just slow it down a bit.
    I regularly test virus scanners with real virii that I get from my infected customers and trust me Norton is not that great - especially when it comes to Trojans and Adware which it often either will not detect at all or detects then fails to do anything about. You need a large armoury and a flexible attitude to deal with all the crap that is out there, there is no one product that catches all. I repaired a mans laptop the other week and he said he had no antivirus and had never had a virus, I found 140+ infected files with 7 different virii. He only brought it in to get a VPN set up.

Thinking you are safe is not the same as being safe.

Coming to you from FireFox 0.7 on Knoppix STD 1.0 - live and direct - HDDs on 'read only' try infecting me now you lowdown internet malware peddling scum.

This is all true and I agree with you for the most part, however i deem the software to be doing it's job if it keeps my PC running, which at this point it has. Don't for a second think that I am president of the "I Love Symantec" Fan Club, because I'm not. I think NIS2004 was a resource-intensive piece of shite and I removed it not long after it was installed.

And sure there are alot of other factors which could have influenced whether or not I would have got a virus in the past, but one thing's for certain, when almost everyone I know got Blaster and I didn't, I kind of felt left out

That's why I continue to use Norton

They are all good. The key is safe PC practice IMHO. The majority of people get a virus by downloading it via email and some even get them when they visit a questionable site. The later being rare. Once in a while someone will pick up a nastie from a disc borrowed from a friend.

I recommend only downloading email to your hard drive if you have to. Web mail is much safer and quality web hosts use email filters. So the chance of a virus is minimal if you use web mail and delete unwanted mail as you go.

Adware, poof I could care less. I like naked girls anyway Quick scans with all the anti-adware progs do the fix and lke I said "I could care less about adware." Not to say I do not clean it.

Firewalls. Well, lets just say anyone that has ever slid in never came back, lol.

The only real problem I have with Norton is getting all the crap that it installs out of your computer should you decide to delete it... I mean it is buried in your OS. Symantec this, norton that.

I had a hard time. And thanks to a long term member Jackpot who hosted/created (?) this remover it can be taken care of.

so what the recommended replacement for norton antivirus?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    so what the recommended replacement for norton antivirus?
    I like Avast the Home Edition is free.

I've been a long time Norton user but Avast is much better IMO

AVG, Antivir or Avast!
    Any of these free ones work just fine. Some of the other Free Lite ones out there (like Bitdefender) don't do realtime scanning so are no substitute. Personally I like 'AVG 7 free' the best just because of the GUI but they all catch Viruses, Trojans and some Adware and are just as worthy of HDD space as Norton.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This little app could come in quite handy, especially removing older NIS versions, I have 2002 running, but AVG seems to be getting the thumbs-up
    Norton is not that great - especially when it comes to Trojans and Adware
    Actually depends on Symantec's definition of a Virus, adware/trojans/spyware usually dont meet the definition thus not checks for it... hence the reliance (and safe practice) of using a dedicated spyware prog (ad-ware or SpyBot).

One thing we ALL have in common, is that we use more than 1 app at a time, and usually practice safe computing, and usually notice things quickly when the PC slows down

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Get rid of Norton - for whatever reason.

You may also like these as they are for 2004 and 2005 which RNAV2003 doesn't do.
    Last edited by Curio; September 26th, 2006 at 22:10 PM.

Platinum+ Member
    I like you! i have major virus problems.. I never had a problem with dialup, but now after I got "broadband" (Most indian broadband connections are like 24x7 glorified dialups), I get infected just about everyday.
    I use IE and firefox occasionally(cos firefox hangs for no reason). I have AVG(occasionally run stinger) free and zonealarm free, and the usual spyware-removers. Can u suggest any thing else to prevent the virii problems?