Thread: Internet disconnecting

Bronze Member

Internet disconnecting

This is actually two problems, each different but with the same result... they machine gets disconnected from the internet.

Problem 1...

is a Windows 98 machine which uses Virgin as the ISP and connects via an internal 56k modem, although it has been tested with another modem with similar results. It connects OK and all seems well but then it will suddenly drop the line. No messages, no nothing. It may stay up for half an hour or it may die after only a couple of minutes.

It's the only device on the phone line and BT have checked the line and increased its gain. The cables have all been replaced and there is no *obvious* line interference.

Of the two problems this is by far the most annoying so any ideas would.be welcomed.

Problem 2...

is with a machine (running XP home) connecting to BT's ASDL service. It operates as an internet connection server using AnalogX's Proxyi. Occasionally the connection will be dropped. This is more an annoyance than a problem since it's no big deal to reconnect but it would be even better if it didn't happen!

The machine is running a firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) and I noticed that BT keeps pinging the machine and so, thinking that not getting a response might be causing them to close the connection, the firewall has been set to respond to the ICMP messages. Still the connection gets closed.

Any ideas on this one?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you contacted Virgin to see if the problem is at their end.

Regarding problem 2,what modem are you using for the ADSL.If it's the Alcatel Speedtouch USB one,also known as the frog,what drivers are you using?

There was an issue with some older alcatel drivers which caused the connection to be continuously dropped.I had the same problem and fixed it using the latest drivers.

Try the latest 2.01 drivers
    here (Note:remain connected while running the upgrade)

BTW,i now use a ZOOM USB modem and have had no problems.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Thanks Rev., I'll look into your points and see what I can discover.

Ken.

The solution for this problem is a program called Connection Keeper. I used it for during all of the years that I had a dial-up connection. It works and the price is right. Its free.

Features:
    * Works with all versions of Windows® 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP, and 2003.
    * Can be set to automatically redial if the connection is lost.
    * Can automatically close popup windows that ask the user if they want to stay online.
    * Can be minimized to the system tray so that it does not take up space on your taskbar.
    * Can run when you are not even connected to the Internet. It waits patiently until you connect before it does anything.
    * Uses very little computer resources.
    * The query that is sent to the ISP takes up almost no bandwidth. You can run Connection Keeper in the background regardless of whether or not you are using the Internet without fear that your connection will be slowed down.
    * The interval at which Connection Keeper queries the ISP is adjustable, or it can be set to a random interval.
    * You can choose whether or not Connection Keeper requests a real or bogus URL. You have full control over the real URL's that are queried.
    * If you are a webmaster, Connection Keeper can be used to monitor your web site. It will let you know if a page is not downloading properly. Errors can be reported by a popup window or by email.
    * Command line parameters can be used to close a specific popup window.
    * Command line parameters can be used to check for the existence of a file. A message window will only appear if there is a problem. This is useful for checking the status of your network when your computer boots up, for example.
    * Command line parameters can be used to download a web page and report any errors that occur. This is useful for checking the status of your web site when your computer boots up, for example.
    * Connection Keeper installs no spyware and displays no advertisements.

Download Link
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Bronze Member
    It looks very interesting. I'll have a look at it.