Thread: whats cable modem defragging?

Question whats cable modem defragging?

hello

a friend told me today that he used some program to "defrag" his cable connection. whats that? it sounded like some gimmick or some thing like that to me...is there such thing?

he claims to have improved his connection speed by 20-30%. i laughed...is this real? i dont beleive its an uncapper or anything like that...i think he just beleives it works and so he percieves it that way.

just thought i'd ask ppl that actually would know something like this...

thanx..
    beebz

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Never heard of such thing. He was probably duped or he's trying to dupe you.

lol, no, ive never heard of it, so i was just asking...i mean, i dont know everything.....yet

but seriously, this guy i know he dont lie, so obviously he got duped, it was a program he ran and he swears it made his connection faster...what coulda done this? or made him beleive this?

thanx

ok i found out what it is, its called "dr speed" - sounds dumb to me, heres the link, lemme know what yall think.

http://www.aluriasoftware.com/drspeed/results.html

thanx

Well I can see where this might be of some use to someone who does not like to tinker with there system. If you read the "How it Works" page you will see that they say that the software will optimize your computer for the best settings of your Internet connection. This you can do yourself if you have the time to do the research on the web and are not concerned about making registry changes to your system. The speeding up of page loading is done it appears by adding even more cookie like items to you hard drive. By doing this when you go to a web site or a page on a web site you computer simply loads the basic information from the hard drive instead of waiting for the web sites server to send the information to you over the connection. You will still have to wait for any page updates (new items that have not been stored on your computer) to download.

This of course is just IMHO.

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. There is no guarantee that problems that you may cause by using Registry Editor incorrectly can be resolved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

hmm, thanx.

would it affect p2p sharing? such as download and or upload speed. im thinking not, but my friend, lol, *sigh* i dont know. i just want someone on here to tell me what they thnk about that aspect of it, so i can tell him "uhh no, this doesnt work for this"

thanx

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Well It sure doesn't say anything about "defragging" your modem. I'm sure it's just a bunch of registry tweaks.

This is what I do...........

Clean cache files....re-boot cable modem.....re-boot P.C.

By un-pluuging the cable modem at least 1-2 times per week, I get my 3 Mbps D/L/ speed!!!

Be well........

By the way.....I un-plug for 120 seconds...........that seems to "flush" the modem........

Also, I run XP Pro........"stand-alone" P.C.

RoadRunner

Originally posted by beebster
    hmm, thanx.

would it affect p2p sharing? such as download and or upload speed. im thinking not, but my friend, lol, *sigh* i dont know. i just want someone on here to tell me what they thnk about that aspect of it, so i can tell him "uhh no, this doesnt work for this"

thanx

From the "How it Works" page...

In addition to this process, Dr. Speed prescribes the optimal settings specifically for your computer to get the most out of the bandwidth that you have. Bandwidth is the amount of data that can be sent at one time. There is no software that can increase your bandwidth in existence. To increase your bandwidth you have to change your connection hardware. Don't be fooled by software vendors that claim that they can increase your bandwidth. It is not possible. We can however make your computer get the most out of your bandwidth, and operate faster. It will seem like you have more bandwidth.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hey tons of fun

that pic should be your avatar for halloween.

is that ghost doing something scary to that pumpkin?
    lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Wink Yeah..........

Originally posted by egghead
    hey tons of fun

that pic should be your avatar for halloween.

is that ghost doing something scary to that pumpkin?
    lol
    ....you caught me!!!