Thread: Windows XP SP2 to be 'Springboard' to Longhorn

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Windows XP SP2 to be 'Springboard' to Longhorn

If you're wondering why Microsoft is taking so long to release Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), wonder no more: The company is working to back-port various Longhorn security technologies into SP2, providing a mid-ground between the default security found in XP and that which will be available in its next major desktop OS. Code-named "Springboard," the new security features include an updated version of the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), which adds outbound scanning capabilities and other features previously found only in Microsoft's enterprise server product, Internet Security & Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000.

View: Paul Thurrott's full article @ WinInfo

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i am not sure if i like this.

i see a monopoly here

i won't need to buy a firewall now that it will be included in windows.

I hope that Microsoft will release a stripped down desktop operating system and allow us the chance to try other products out and keep this economy growing.

remember when we had dos and were able to try tons of crappy programs? What if it gets to the point where we can only use 1 crappy program and tons of incompatible old programs?

i am glad they are coming out with this much needed service update but this reminds me of the verdict where the judge order M$ to supply computers to schools... This is a marketers dream.
    Start the kids young and make them dependent on the Microsoft code.

A better judgment is for the schools to teach oracle sun and linux in the school and leave Microsoft software for the games.......

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I don't mind M$ adding a more secure firewall to the OS. I think this will be better for the average user in the long run. But what I'd really love to see is Microsoft allowing the advanced user to disable the crap they dont want...Firewall, IE etc...

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    I don't mind M$ adding a more secure firewall to the OS. I think this will be better for the average user in the long run. But what I'd really love to see is Microsoft allowing the advanced user to disable the crap they dont want...Firewall, IE etc...
    Good point Supa, and I agree... I guess they should have more differences between Home and Pro version of XP.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'd give anything to see some radical changes in the OS interface. I know that is not a good business approach.. but I am tired of the start menu, taskbar, and all that crap..

I want something different.. All OSes are strictly 2D.. when there is a whole 3D world out there.. that could be tapped and brought into the OS realm. Imagine you boot the machine and it is like booting into a video game. Your pointer transforms into a human character than you can theme, tweak, change nearly every feature.. even import your own digitized self as your character.

Then your character with one click can do whatever you want.. or better you type in what you want to do and the character sets it all up for you.

Imagine being able to tell your character to:

"Open word, Photoshop, Mozilla, outlook, nero, etc..." And then the character goes and you actually see the character performing the actions. At any time you can interject and take control of a specific task.

You could also set it up so that the character does these things by default.

And then let's say while you are typing your paper, you tell your character to perform a search on the topic that you are writing your paper on.

That to me would be a worthwhile investment..

Not this 2D crap that just gets "refined"

Or you could even take the mouse pointer and create a hand that does the actions. Picks up pages, moves things like a normal hand would do.

Though I think the character would be certainly more interesting.

Back to reality, I hope SP2 won't cause more troubles than is already out. I thought Sp2 would've been out by now but I guess the moles at MS are wanting to achieve near perfectness.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    Back to reality, I hope SP2 won't cause more troubles than is already out. I thought Sp2 would've been out by now but I guess the moles at MS are wanting to achieve near perfectness.
    Yes..but we know that what M$ wants and what they actually achieve are often two totally different things

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I for one cant wait for SP2. Don't take me wrong, I dislike M$ as much as everyone else. The only reason I can't wait is that they will be fixing the problems with XP's SP1 SMB (server messenger block) that prevents me from pushing large files from a Windows XP machine to a Windows 2000 server.

Other than that, I could care less for the rest of M$ fixes