Thread: Microsoft DirectX 9.1 to favor nVidia's Geforce FX

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Microsoft DirectX 9.1 to favor nVidia's Geforce FX

Microsoft is, with the assistance of NVIDIA, about to release a new version of the great and essential DirectX 9. And it will be Direct X 9.1. What's so amazing about this? Well, this new DX will favor NVIDIA’s CPU's, especially regarding the pixels shaders 2.0. When accompanied by a regular update, the expected performances would be with the height of the unconditional hopes of the Californian company. The performances in DX9 (for example HL2) would then be similar to those of the competition in terms of quality and especially in terms of speed. And all in precision mode of 32 bit in the PS 2.0.

Maybe a better management of the instructions of the PS 2.0 (improvement management of the streaming instructions). To quantify, that could go to 60% of profit. A percentage that seems confusing and amazing but that we can't verify before it is released. All that we can say is if that is going to occur exactly as announced, it will be an enormous relief for all the purchasers of GeForce FX.

Source

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    He-he, whoopidoo!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I guess this only confirms that Geforce FX chips arent as good as people say straight out of the box...

the good thing from this is... doesnt matter if M$ and Nvidia work together... the final product is that GeforceFX owners finally get the full use of their card. This fix had to come one way or another.

I like Ati, but commend Nvidia for all the effort it goes through to try and compete with a good product.

Lets hope this forces Ati to release an even better package

Conan, u should come to the brighter,more crisper images of Ati cards

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    Microsoft is, with the assistance of NVIDIA, about to release a new version of the great and essential DirectX 9. And it will be Direct X 9.1. What's so amazing about this? Well, this new DX will favor NVIDIA’s CPU's,

Originally posted by Conan
    He-he, whoopidoo!

hehe

j/k

i will keep my ati 9700 pro for a little while

hehehe

so it is looking like the future updates wars are about to come into play.

if it gets to the point where updates only benifet the competition i think we have to look at who has the most payola gets the better updates...

egghead

Originally posted by cash_site

Conan, u should come to the brighter,more crisper images of Ati cards
    I was actually contemplating getting a 9800 Pro or XT but the thing is, PCI Express is supposed to launch soon.

Unhappy

I should have put a Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra into my computer instead of an ATi Radeon 9800 PRO. Getting the ATi may have been a bad choice because of certain hardware limitations in ATi Radeon chipsets which make it unable to perform as well as Nvidia in SimCity 4. When I was using a Geforce 2, SimCity 4 drew fine but now it draws like crap on the ATi. But my favourite game HL is still supported by ATI.

If only Valve Software didn't delay HL2's release... There's been so much complaint about them because of the HL2 delay and Steam. Planet HalfLife keeps updates on HL and its many MODs.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Originally posted by joshsiao
    I should have put a Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra into my computer instead of an ATi Radeon 9800 PRO.
    Really? Everyone bashes the FX cards and heap praises on the ATI 9800 Pro.

I know the ATi is the best. But it really depends on what games you are playing. In the recent tests between the two cards, Ati 9800 PRO and Nvidia 5900 Ultra on HL2, Ati won many times. Even when Nvidia told the testers to update the Detonator FX drivers, Ati still won. The Nvidia had drew too slowly in one of the tests while the Ati whizzed through. If you play games that are really better on Nvidia then use Nvidia. Basically, I play HL so that makes me a ATI supporter.

My motto that I created once was: DOWN WITH NVIDIA! NVIDIA SUCKS! UP WITH ATI! ATI RULES!

Hehe...

Well... I will continue to use ATi and maybe upgrade to 9800 XT or change the sound card to SB Audigy 2 Plantium ZT!
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I was always an Nvidia user and ardent fan...back in the day. Then ATI busted out with the Radeon cards and now I'm sold. I have tested both the 9700 pro and tx and the 9800 pro and tx. Now I own a 9700 pro. When Nvidia can make the card work correctly without melting everything within a few feet and light enough that it doesn't rip your MB out, I may go back. But until then...Radeon Rocks!!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan
    I was actually contemplating getting a 9800 Pro or XT but the thing is, PCI Express is supposed to launch soon.
    Sentimonies too.... we'll have to wait and see what incarnations Nvidia and Ati come out with.

The whole point is as a consumer, you should be able to choose which ever card, and it should perform the same. They dont have to work the same way, but should have same results at the Monitor end

I just see Nvidia and Ati trying to throw their weight around with other companies, with the sole intent to disadvantage the competitor. Fair enough - business is business, but it should affect the consumer who has to lay down their cash.

Actually the funny thing from this, is that M$ will be making lots of money for helping Nvidia out... so the empire grows

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Microsoft IS always finding ways to make money. Ever notice how dependant ATi cards are on Direct X? Look at the demos for the 9800 on the ATi website for instance, it tells us that the graphics card uses alot of Direct X's features to provide us with those beautiful clear cut graphics. Once Direct X 9.1 is out... I don't know how ATi cards can continue to win Nvidia's. If you look at the FX 5900 Ultra demos on the Nvidia site, you'll see that the graphics depend largely on the graphics card's own power.

Real Time Demos for ATI Radeon 9800 PRO: Note extensive use of Dx's pixel shaders.

Dusk Demo (Nvidia): Usage of 5900's vertex shaders

Other Nvidia demos also mainly using its own technology to create virutal reality

Other ATI demos also dependant on Dx's features to create virtual reality
    ~Chesterfield