4. You may not vote on this poll
  • MSN

3 75.00%
  • Yahoo!

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion: MSN or Yahoo! ?

Your opinion: MSN or Yahoo! ?

i know i know it must have been done hundreds times but i DO NEED your opinions:

her is the thing:
    I am a yahoo user for like three years. right now i have Yahoo Mail Plus. I do like their internet services. I have the feeling that Yahoo Mail is really reliable by opposition to Hotmail. But i may be wrong. Also Yahoo portal is pretty fast and pretty clear.

Now i have MSN Premium software ( the MSN 9 beta) I love the software. i think it is the best browser i have ever tried. Yet i think it stupid to use the browser with another portal than MSN ....

Also you may know that both Yahoo Mail and Hotmail will get a redesign and new anti spam feature.

Even if you dont use these webmail or portal....which one would you be the most likely to choose.....PLEASE i cant just pay for two option and i really cannot decide by myself.....you guys seems pretty savvy about the question

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    It depends on what you want. MSN is nice and integrates well with your OS.. as it is made by Microsoft. But yahoo is just as good in terms of mailing service.

I chose MSN because it supports multilanguages better, is integrated with the OS, and gets a fair share of updates.

But Yahoo has a great messenger service, one of the best spam tools (compared to hotmail), I like the Yahoo style a bit better, etc..

But I have had problems with yahoo.. like bad installs of their messenger service, I hated it when they got rid of the free POP access..

Hotmail allows you to check the mail with outlook for free.. with yahoo, you have to have the Plus account.. I think that is crap.

there are many pluses and minuses to each. Find the one you feel most comfortable with, the one you will use the most, and the one that appeals the most to you and then stick with it.

Hope that helps.

Titanium Member
    I choose:

Browsers: Firebird, Mozilla, Opera, IE (in that order)
    Firebird is free - You can custom tailor your browser with options you desire.

Instant Messenger: Trillian, MSN - trillian will receive all instant message formats at once

Mail: Outlook express, Thunderbird, Incredimail, Eprompter

I have email accounts: Yahoo, Msn, Hotmail - Eprompter will receive and reply to ALL accounts for free.

What I don't like about the MSN browser is the fact that they want you to use their browser to connect to the internet. You can use other browsers but only after connecting through MSN first.
    You can choose to do a manual connection, which is better because you are connected without the need of any browser. Sometimes it takes forever for the MSN browser to sign in and you don't have an internet connection until you do.
    MSN does not prefer this method and they don't mention it to their clients unless asked.
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 24th, 2003 at 15:28 PM.

I have MSN Soft Plan and i dont need to use their browser if i wanna surf.

Hotmail access thru OE or Outlook will disappear after they upgrade Hotail in November. They've got new Storage plans.

Hotmail will get new anti-spam features, like Yahoo's new SpamGuard Plus....Both are like the smart Junk Mail Filtering of MSn 8 or Outlook

Also both will offer new Mesages view. One of these view is the possibility to display only contacts from your address book on the welcome page...

Thats why i cant make a choice. I thin k in terms of Web service Yahoo is better then MSn ...but since i have the MSN Software....

Where did you hear the following news?

Hotmail access thru OE or Outlook will disappear after they upgrade Hotail in November.
    I'd really like to know the source of that. Thanks.

The question remains, which do you use the most? Which have you found easiest to work with?

Here's a test,
    contact their support team with a fake problem.. see which one responds the fastest. The one with the best support would be the one I'd go with.

Also ask yourself which would you use the most?

I mean if you use yahoo mail more than hotmail, if you use hotmail more than yahoo mail, if you use yahoo chat, if you use MSN chat (soon to be cancelled), if you use yahoo briefcase, if you use MSN storage/photoalbum, etc...

Once you can answer definitively which you use more or like more, or appeals to you more, then the choice should be simple.

In MSN Premium Software i go to Settings > All Settings > Get More from MSN > Get More Email Storage. It directs me to this page:
    http://join.msn.com/?page=features/s...pgmarket=en-us

"Hotmail Extra Storage
    Coming this winter: Storage that grows with your needs

Store more e-mail and send larger attachments by increasing your storage limit. With free MSN® Hotmail® you receive 2MB of inbox storage and can send up to 1MB attachments. Coming this winter, you can choose from four different storage upgrade levels.

All four levels include:

Automatic virus scanning and cleaning of e-mail attachments

Exemption from the Hotmail account expiration policy, even if you don't log on for a long time

Flexibility to send and receive your e-mail through Hotmail or Outlook® Express "

THEN AT NEOWIN.NEt I read :

"MSN Hotmail Extra Storage is changing this winter. MSN are opening new subscription based services for those wanting extra storage for their MSN Hotmail accounts. Four new options have been revealed for MSN Hotmail customers. The MSN Hotmail Extra Storage 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB. Each subscription is anual and contains the ability to send larger attachments, access to the Hotmail mailbox via Outlook or Outlook Express, exemption from the account expiration policy, and 30 MB of MSN Groups storage. Each subscription also comes with its relevant amount of Hotmail space.

The prices of each service is below:

MSN Hotmail Extra Storage 10MB = $19.95 annually, plus tax
    MSN Hotmail Extra Storage 25MB = $29.95 annually, plus tax
    MSN Hotmail Extra Storage 50MB = $39.95 annually, plus tax
    MSN Hotmail Extra Storage 100MB = $59.95 annually, plus tax

Update:

MSN Premium subscribers will get 25MB of Extra Storage and will be able to send up to 10MB attachments. Access to MSN Hotmail via Outlook or Outlook Express is already included."

if they stop me from receiving my mail in outlook express, I am going to simply stop using their crap service..

Honestly I think it saves them more bandwith by me signing in with outlook..

I mean I dont have to go to their page, access their server, with all those images, etc...

I can log in, download my small mail and that is it. Much easier on them and me..

They just want your money. I'll set up my own mail server and send and receive my own mail before I'll pay them 19 bucks.

Sorry to be the bad news guy but they WILL took it off...just like the rest in fact....and that is WHAT is gonna kill them.

As for my choice....really dont know . I'm pretty much lost in the two portal.
    Yahoo has a complete, clear, fast portal - a good reliable email client.
    On the other hand
    MSN has this browser which integrate everything....and hotmail will get just as good as Yahoo Mail....so...yup i 'm pretty much lost...

which feels more natural for you when you use it?

Titanium Member
    I don't know many that like that integrated browser. My mom likes it because she likes that little envelope that jumps up and down. There are plenty of other email services that are around and free.

Well why do some like Mozilla ? because it's fast and has a mail client a sidebar multi tab and add ons...
    MSn Premium is sort of the same thing.
    Now i do like yahoo because the news are clear (MSNBC is ugly) and the sites a fast.
    But I use the beta version of MSN Video and it pretty cool. The integrated mail client is very good too and MSN Dashboard is pretty convenient see? you got WMP Messenger mail overview and all....
    The one that feels natural...hum....good question...now another question would be what browser would feel more natural...now what browser would feel more natural that IE ? none basically ...

ho ho ho,

Actually I prefer Mozilla 10 to 1 over IE.. #1 reason, Tabbed browsing.. #2 speed.. #3 updates (come new ones everyday) #4 Themes #5 Preference of standalone or with Chat, Composer, etc.. #6 built in popup manager #7 nearly every aspect of the browser tools can be removed or added as you please

Need I go on? I love Mozilla.. it works for nearly 99.9% of the websites I go to.. though some poorly coded sites look strange.. that is not the fault of Mozilla, but the fault of the webpage itself.

Plugins rock in Mozilla.. and there are plenty of them.

Let me put it to you like this.

IE is like Government cheese that you have grown accustomed to.. because that is all you have been fed for a long time.. Mozilla is like a Red Cheddar or a Cambert cheese.. refined, tasty, and classy.. packed with zipp and flare.

IE is the standard old ragged browser that gets an update every year or so.. Mozilla is like a browser that is updated daily.. like a crack addiction, you gotta have the updates.

IE is being exploited quite a bit.. I personally haven't heard of mozilla being exploited.. not to say it isn't happening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough of the browser stuff..

If I were you try out both services.. test them to the max.. test every aspect. Find the one that works best for you. If you like both, keep both. If that is impossible, put two names in a hat, yahoo and MSN. Draw one, that'll be the one that you get rid of. That simple

yeh i tried Mozilla and i wanted to use it with Yahoo but i cannot use HTML composing nor can i go to Launch.Yahoo.com, the Radio music site because i cannot launch the radio app
    Other wise it's very good browser. Also in IE i can put .ink shortcut to launch programs right from the browser you know ....

Titanium Member
    I put shortcuts right in my taskbar (quick launch) and launch programs with or without the browser.

but are there some plug ins or add on so that launch.yahoo.com works....so that i can compose in HTML....?