Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd pc won't boot

2nd pc won't boot

hi all.... been working ('n sweatin') on a friend's pc that has this prob: it won't even begin the boot process....just a blinking cursor in the top right corner of screen
    details:
    -a freshly installed WinXP pro on a Quantum 40gb hdd
    -uwave mobo with 384 mb ram with a 1gb Athlon @100mhz

i've tested the p/s, reseated the ram, disconnected all other drives; reset CMOS; changed the mobo battery and reentered configuration in bios.

-in the compaq bios it does recognize the hdd and anything else hooked up but whenever I save and exit it just goes to the blinking cursor. So....I swapped the hdd with one of my own that was (& still does) work with the same OS brand and yet the friend's pc does exactly the same thing with my drive installed. the quantum will not boot alone on my backup unit but will install as a secondary though.

??? what's left anyone and thanx in advance for any ide-ers...
    It's not that my mind wanders....it's that sometimes it just leaves completely !!!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    What is the jumper on the Quantum set as ?

I presume you have tried Master and Slave.
    Try the cable select setting.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

had them both

thanx for the speedy reply. as indicated I did have it on the master and slave (depending on situation) but have not tried the cable select yet.
    here goes......but then again why would that affect my own hdd with the same no-bootup problem....hmmmmm
    It's not that my mind wanders....it's that sometimes it just leaves completely !!!

What is the Compaq model number?
    An updated BIOS may fix it.

Off Topic: your current email addy is bouncing back notifications. (address failed)
    Last edited by Reverend; October 29th, 2003 at 22:10 PM.

phew...I'm back

oops, sorry 'bout the email thing. forgot to change it here since I deleted that account a month ago due to it having 98% of all the spam.
    anyway, this guy's brother put his unit together for him (then moved to Texas) in an Antec box and with all sorts of pieces. it worked for some time but then crashed hence the fresh install of WinXP. therefore I don't have a Compaq model but the mobo is an FIC AZ31 with original rom date of 10/12/00. hope that helps.....

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    here is a page that has your bios information

http://www.fic.com.tw/support/mother...px?model_id=49

oops

it looks like your is newer that what is on that page

2000 is a long time ago and your motherboard may only support up to 15 gigs

not sure though but might be the problem

have you ever had a hd in the system that is large?

Update:
    your hard drive should work fine

My suggestions would be to change the video card and check the cpu is fitted properly on the board

some people have had those problems in the usergroups
    Last edited by egghead; October 29th, 2003 at 23:10 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

it had 2 on before

one was a 14gb and the current 40gb as well so the pc must have been capable. but as I mentioned earlier, my own 4.3gb (oops forgot to tell it's size) hdd won't boot any further along either ????!!!!

if you can get into the bios i recommend that you disable all the usb devices and power management features as well as the network card and sound card etc...

it is best to start with the bare minimun to ensure that no other components of your pc is causing the system hang

Go into the BIOS and select "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" Y.

This setting may list any problems when the PC fails to boot.

You say the BIOS is detecting the HDD's,so it is therefore unlikely to be an IDE problem.

You could try another vid card as egghead suggested,although normally a hardware incompatibility/failure would have been detected during the XP installation process.

As a last resort,carry out another reformat.

reformat ??

well, I changed the video and set the bios to defaults. still she blinks.
    btw even if the bios for the FIC mobo is older than the one I have would it not be an improvement over the Compaq one I now have? If the bios is the criminal then would any working one not be better. also it wouldn't be the compaq specific one either right!!

the bios updates should only be performed as a last resort and you will need to read the instructions and find version numbers on your motherboard to ensure that you have the correct one

failure to do this can kill your motherboard for good.

i would try using a slower cpu to see if the problem is cpu related.

out of spares

cpu's that is. the only other ones are 1800 and 2200 'round here other than an old Pii300. getting back to the Reverend's suggestion on reformatting. as I mentioned before the quantum with the fresh xp won't boot on my spare pc anymore either even tho I can access the drive when setting it up there as slave.

many members hear cannot run xp on a different machine other than the one that it was installed on

this is due to hardware missing on the newer machine.

tell me something

when you installed a fresh copy of xp did you format the whole drive?
    did it get stuck anywhere?
    when it asks you to reboot does the drive work fine?
    or did it get stuck after reboot?

any information will help us

yup

yes it was installed on another pc but no reboots occurred there that were not part of the regular install. minimal components were left 'live' during that install to minimize the activatiion prob so I thought it would still be ok -- remember even my own little drive would not even get posted.
    now however further issues have developed leading me to believe it is strictly a mobo deal here. eg. reset/power on buttons do not work and as soon as the power cord goes in the back the machine starts but won't even get to power up the monitor anymore.........sigh.......
    I gotta go and let the guy know it's gonna be down for some time yet and how much $$$ is he willing to spend on parts.......sigh.....

ps i will get back here in the morining

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Most like the mobo is screwed. Get a new one and he should be back in business.
    Last edited by Big Booger; October 30th, 2003 at 03:54 AM.