Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need your opinion FAST!!!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

I need your opinion FAST!!!

OK, Tigerdirect has this sale:
    MOBO SALE
    I was thinking buying this for my little cousing thought maybe it is overkill for him
    Do you think is a goo buy?? or recomend something else??
    PS: I don't want to spend too much money, and I wil have to buy CPU and memory too And video card

Since I am asking for opinion, I have an extra question. I promised to sell to a friend my old mobo, CPU and RAM (Video card too, but I already used it:P)
    The mobo is a PC Chips 830LMR with SND, LAN, AMR MODEM, 5PCI, 4XAGP, 2 USB (with option for 2 mount fronted) Socket A
    DDR and SDRAM up to 2 GB (either use DDR or SDR) 2 slots for each. ATA/100, and the rest is normal
    CPU is Athlon XP 1800+
    RAM 512MB Mushkin with heatsink.
    I was also thinking to include the case. I will convince him of it, since the case has the headers for the USB (which I cannot plug in other mobo since they are different )
    Which also has a 400 watts PSU 7 Expansion slots in the back, rear fan, 4 5 1/4 bays and 3 3/12 bays (1 hidden)

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    As far as the mobo is concerned,I think that is a good deal for an NForce2 board.It's not top brand name and doesn't have firewire but it has enough pci slots and features to run the fastest 32 bit processor AMD has to offer.As for the second scenario,if your asking if you should sell your old mobo with cpu,video card,ram,and case it's just a matter of your not needing all those extras.If you aren't going to use them why not sell the case and all for a nice upgrade package for your friend.As for what it is worth I would estimate $200 to $235 depending on which video card your talking about.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Re: I need your opinion FAST!!!

Originally posted by Dehcbad25
    OK, Tigerdirect has this sale:
    MOBO SALEPS: I don't want to spend too much money, and I wil have to buy CPU and memory too And video card
    The board you show has on board video, it should be a Gforce 4 ??? something. I don't know a thing about that brand of MB but for what you get at that price sounds kind-a hard to beat.....make sure you can RMA without problem if the need should arise

Checkout the boards on This page and This page and This page they are refurbs but newegg has the best RMA on the net!

CPU's are dirt cheap now, time to get yourself an XP 2500 Barton

Hey lynch, time to get an Nforce2

My only problem with this board is the manufacture.

Just because they are carrying the nforce chipset doesn't make it a good board. Alot of rip off company's put chipsets in there board that are the hot thing on the market. But they do not optimize them as they should be.

Personally - Asus and MSI for me only. But then again the price is very good.

I already upgraded my motherboard. And I got the ASUS A7N8X deluxe v2, remember??
    Anyways, what I am selling is the old mobo that I had with the CPU and RAM I used. What it acutally sades me the most is selling the RAM since it is 512 DDR (but I am planning to buy DDR400 for my PC)
    FG, I have no idea what you are talking about. It doesn't have onboard graphics

Originally posted by Dehcbad25
    FG, I have no idea what you are talking about. It doesn't have onboard graphics
    Sorry I had about five tab's open on MB's and got confused

Now I have no idea what your talking about, if this "I already upgraded my motherboard. And I got the ASUS A7N8X deluxe v2, remember??" is true (I know you upgraded) then why this post about the MB your thinking of getting...hehe I was showing you links for better MB's than the one you were asking about....

Because that mobo is not for me. It is for my little cousin in Argentina. With the dolar exchange rate, I have to get something really cheap, since 5 dollars difference feel like 15 there.

Oh, sorry I didn't know your cousin was in Argentina remember that really cheap can sometimes end up real expensive in the long run

Hey get your cousin a job where you work, he'll like the US better than a MB

well, he is only about 9 years old, plus he brakes more than he fixes.
    Nonetheless computers there seem terribly expensive. With that mobo he will have the best computer in the house (and that might be trouble).
    Plus, to that one I will also have to get the RAM, a CPU, Video Card, HDD. It will end up quite an expensive gift for him, and I am pretty much short on money. HAven't even upped my CPU yet. That is why I want to sell the old stuff.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    hey guys what about bringing the hardware donations back and see if we can get a pc together for dehc's cousin. Just post what you can offer and if we can get a pc pieced together then just PM dehc with the mailing specifics.

No REPLY

Anyhow.
    To sell all that stuff I need to buy first what I am going to use in my PC.
    As FG recomended I was looking at the BArton 2500. The price in pricewatch starts at 79$ OEM or 88$ Retail new.
    I was thinking since I use a lot the PC and the drives work like crazy, to buy a OEM and buy a good cooler. I was looking at the Coolermaster Aero7+ (copper sink) which goes from 28 to 39 (depending on the web site). Obviously I will buy the 28 one
    Well, I wanted to listen your opinions. Maybe you can recomend a different CPU or cooler.
    Here is where I need mainly an opinion. I am also looking for RAM for my PC. This is going to be the expensive part I want good RAM. That will give me posibilities to overclock (I don't overclock much thought, since I play lots of games). Remember that my board is the A7N8x Deluxe version 2, so I can use DDR400.

I didn't buy the other board either. So I am still looking for a mobo and CPU fo rmy cousing also. Any suggestion welcome

I forgot. I also have to buy 2 video cards. More or less I can chose a high end video card. It is a bit easier to chose those vicause reviews and comparasons are out all the time. But I am looking for value video cards.
    One video card is to include it in the package for my friend, and the other for the computer that my cousin is going to use. My friend very probable is going to be using Linux on the machine. My cousin games, but nothing really fancy either. (he is sharing an k6 with his brother and 4 MB Video onboard)
    so, I am thinking of something below 50$. Suggestions?? I checked some reviews and there is too much options out there, making it difficult to pick up a winner.

When you get ram you might as well get the fastest you can afford that way it'll last longer for future upgrades. If you have the rev2.0 board look for Crucial, TwinMos, Buffalo, Kingston and if you like spending $$ then of coarse Corsair. I have 1gig Crucial PC3200 that runs fine & dandy @220fsb Cas2.5 in my Abit The XP 2500 will run @400+fsb @XP3200+ speeds so get ram that can do the same, TwinMos, Buffalo, Corsair, Kingston HyperX are probley the best for OC'n. 400fsb BTW is fast enough on an AMD system

Video cards...at pricewatch.com you can get a Kyro ll 4500 for $28, those cards were around $150 /200 range when they came out! and were only beaten by Gforce 2 ultra/Ti & Gforce 3. It will squish the guts out of TNT & Radeon 64 cards. The best budget (sub $100) cards are the Radeon 8500/9100! you need to hit the Gforce 4 Ti line of cards to out perform the 8500/9100.....

Get yourself an ATI 9700/9800pro and give the other people the Kyro ll
    Last edited by FastGame; November 3rd, 2003 at 20:41 PM.

it seems that the Kyro II doesn't have Linux Support
    Xfree86.org doesn't even have the card listed, not in supported hardware or in not supported