Thread: Three Minutes With RIAA Chief Cary Sherman

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Three Minutes With RIAA Chief Cary Sherman

To millions of people, Cary Sherman is about as popular as the New York Yankees are in Boston. As president of the Recording Industry Association of America, Sherman has vigorously prosecuted online music pirates, as the archenemy of popular file-swapping services from Napster to Kazaa.

Sherman, 55, coordinates the RIAA's legal, policy, and business objectives. Before joining the RIAA in 1997, Sherman worked at the Washington D.C. law firm of Arnold & Porter, where he headed the firm's Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group. Sherman not only represents musicians and songwriters, he is one as well.

His challenges today are daunting. He wants to wean millions of people off freewheeling file-swapping networks and steer them toward legitimate online music services. Sherman also says he aims to lead the music industry into wholeheartedly embracing the Internet and uploading its entire repertoire for legal online distribution.

PC World invited Sherman to weigh in on a variety of hot topics, from suing music fans to buying songs online.

View: Edited transcript of the conversation

PC World

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Good read Reverend. PCW didn't ask whether the industry ripping off the consumer had any bearing on this issue. As I say every time I get a chance - Boycott.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by efc
    Good read Reverend. PCW didn't ask whether the industry ripping off the consumer had any bearing on this issue. As I say every time I get a chance - Boycott.
    im right behind u EFc... er well not literally

Finally there are more and more companies jumping on the digital music selling bandwagon... this should show riaa that buying cds at HUGE costs is out the door!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sherman also says he aims to lead the music industry into wholeheartedly embracing the Internet and uploading its entire repertoire for legal online distribution.
    Bit too late into the game I'd say. they had a chance to make inroads using the Napster model.. but instead they chose to fight it.. now they see the error of their ways..

DOWN WITH THE FARKING RIAA!!! BOYCOTT EVERYTHING THAT EVEN REMOTELY RESEMBLES THE RIAA!