Thread: Eluminx Keyboard

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar

Eluminx Keyboard

A truely innovative self-illuminated keyboard design with huge potential. However, gamers and just about anyone else would find a standard key layout more functional for desktop use.

If you're like me, you prefer to game in almost total darkness. Aside from the obvious benefits to your eyes (reduced stress means longer gaming sessions), it's the social norm - not just at home, but at LANs and other gaming events.

Until recently I've always had to keep a dull light on in the room to give good keyboard illumination. Auravision are the brains behind a technology that in my opinion has been a hell of a long time coming!

Their Eluminx line of keyboards use a special material that glows in the dark and requires no light to charge it in the first place. So, where does the power come from you ask? No, it's not a battery, and it's not from the USB port - this thing is PS2 only. The material itself requires absolutely no power and will keep glowing almost indefinately.

It looks like a normal keyboard, and functions like a normal keyboard, but when the lights go out, the Eluminx emits an eerie blue glow that allows you to clearly see every key. I've heard that the US Army uses the same technology in their notebook computers out in the field. Smart! Currently the only illumination colors available are aquamarine (blue) and sapphire (purple).

So, how does the Eluminx stand up in terms of gaming performance and general use? This is where it gets tricky. You see, the Eluminx keyboard is of the compact type, meaning you only get small arrow keys, and the Home, End, Insert and Delete keys are in weird places you wouldn't expect.

For those of us accustomed to a normal full-sized keyboard layout, the Eluminx may not suit as you will frquently hit the wrong key. To put it bluntly, I found the compact layout unsatisfactory for normal Windows use, as well as for gaming. I don't mind the low-profile key design (similar to that of a notebook keyboard), but when it comes to the actual layout, gamers need a full-sized keyboard.

If you're prepared to learn to use the compact key layout of the Eluminx, then feel free to give it a shot. All others should await a full-sized version from Auravision, as the compact layout will undoubtedly lead to much frustration in the heat of battle. I know it did for me, and so this potential-gem became more of a novelty to me than a functional weapon in my gaming arsenal.

Kudos to Auravision for the illumination technology - they just need to produce a standard, full sized keyboard for the 99% of gamers out there that prefer it to a compact design. We eagerly await their future products and will bring you news as it comes to hand. In the mean time, check out the Eluminx site at www.eluminx.com

Reviews
    HIGHS: Bright illumination; no batteries or other power source required; it looks dam cool.

LOWS: Compact layout will have your fingers misfiring at the most inopportune moments. No USB.

OVERALL: A truely innovative self-illuminated keyboard design with huge potential. However, gamers and just about anyone else would find a standard key layout more functional for desktop use.

RATING: 78%

Titanium Member
    That looks cool but I wonder if it's brightness will distract you from the monitor screen. I would like to see just the letters, numbers, etc light up instead of the whole key.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    ooohhhh....that would look even cooler.....

back to searching....

BTW...did you look at the mouse?

edit

Just found this and looks promising....

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guide...el/index.shtml
    Last edited by Stripe; November 3rd, 2003 at 18:47 PM.

Titanium Member
    The mouse it nice too but i'd like to see an blue illuminated five button trackball mouse. I use a trackball and don't like regular mouse because I don't like to move my arm around.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by lynchknot
    The mouse it nice too but i'd like to see an blue illuminated five button trackball mouse. I use a trackball and don't like regular mouse because I don't like to move my arm around.
    with all the surfing and games, the elbow might fall off... or with track ball, the thumb worn down

The illumated keyboard does look good though, agree though that maybe just the letters/numbers shine thru. is a dimmer included?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Looks sharp. With a matching illuminated case, that would be a smashing setup. I have no real need for it.. my wife would complain and it would be tossed in the rubbish bin ASAP.