Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW MSN Premium

NEW MSN Premium

MSN Premium receife its 4th update. 9.00.0010.2800
    However the process is not visible and you will have to completly restart your computer.
    Many have experienced craches after the update...to be followed...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I heard this had some issues.. poor MSN explorer. Glad I don't use their service. Just got my mom off of their service too.

Looked too much like AOHell

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I'm using MSN 8 with no problems whatsoever.Not nearly as bad as AOLHell.You can design the home page and My MSN with however much content you like.E-mail is scanned by McAffee,junk filters can be adjusted,parental controls work good,can have 9 e-mail accounts with 10mb.The price is the only thing I don't like.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

i agree there are tons of people who not only try to compare MSN Premium to AOL...but also havent realized that what AOL 9 gives you has nothing to do with older version like AOL 6 or 7....

When i see that Mozilla is still unbale to launch a webradio - basically the least a browser might be ask to do- when i see that other Gecko browser like firebird cant display the HTML toolbar of webmails-the VERY least a browser could do-I do wonder their use.....And no Microsoft is not guilty....they made their way in MS HTML and wherever you are...if you are not able to follow to adjust trends....you die.

So for me....R.I.P Gecko....

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think the "very least a browser should do" is probably the the last thing most people would even care about or want to do IMO. IE6 & MSN may be able to read HTML correctly in most all cases but it does so like a 90 year old man with coke bottle glasses...slow!

I haven't seen stats lately but the last time I did (not long ago) the majority of people in the world were still on dial-up though that was changing fast...now if your on dial-up then MSN/IE6 have got to be the slowest things you could use, Mozilla/Firebird/Opera are far Superior and do most tasks correctly 99.9% of the time. I doubt that people on high-speed internet could care less about browser speed...or do they ?

I based my decision on browser choice by the *real* "very least a browser should do"[security]never ending security issues[/security].

Hey I think we can all agree that its great to have many options I'm glad Firebird is one of them

Titanium Member
    I sort of equate it with stereo systems. All-in-one stereo systems are crap. I prefer "seperates". Tuner, DVD/CD, Amp, Preamp - a true audiophile will always prefer seperates.

It is best when one component specializes in it's field. The best browser (subjective), media player, word processor, etc. - should, IMO, work independently of each other. I don't need my browser to launch a music/media player - I can do it through quick launch - with or without the browser. I know those all-in-one browsers can do the same but it's not an issue with me If the browser I choose cannnot. It's not an option that is important to me.

However, being able to choose from this list is options is attractive: http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/

This way I can customize my browser to my specifications.

Extensions are small add-ons that add new functionality to Mozilla Firebird. It can be anything from a toolbar button to a completely new feature, such as mouse gestures. The great thing about extensions is that they allow Mozilla Firebird to stay small and unbloated. Anyone who requires more features can download the appropriate extension. You can even create your own extensions. Information about that will available in the future.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 7th, 2003 at 17:02 PM.

MSN Premium is by far more rapid than Firebird or Opera...but you dont know because you havent tried it. Even though MSn Explorer is based on ie ...it optimizes it . Agree in version earlier than MSn 8 it was the slowest thing ever. The latest version do not share ie temp files and i dont really know what it does but it IS much faster than anything i've tried .

As for security, Gecko bases its arguments on the fact that ie is more widely spread; it is consequently subjected to more attacks...Just like Windows....Why would the Open SOurce be more secure? Why would you trust unknow guys?....From its very first build, Mozilla has always been released full of bugs...it takes like 2 hours to discover the first one and bythe end of the day....they already have a huge list of inacceptable errors. Just like Linux 's code had been threatened (http://news.com.com/2100-7355-5103670.html?tag=nl) Mozilla is not much safe....

Finally , i use a Athlon XP 1800+ and 512 MB for my RAM...It's not the ebst comp eve but it's "ok"...Also i dont wanna install and run altogether a pop-up manager, a mail notifer, a Messenger, a calendar, a Mail Client....I dont wanna burn my RAM !!!

Titanium Member
    Hey G, use whatever you want. I'm just trying to help you understand my and other's point of view. I will never use MSN Premium or any of that type of browser. It's just my opinion that they are garbage - sorry. Here are some points that you may be interested in: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/why/

Other good browsers for windows:

Mozilla
    Opera
    K-meleon

There is a huge thread over at NTFS regarding gecko: http://ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php...light=firebird

BTW - when I was a newbie, I used MSN explorer. I have learned alot since then.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 8th, 2003 at 01:11 AM.

oh cause my using of MSN Explorer makes me a newbie.....once again the time of MSN Explorer 6 or 7 is over MAn!!!!I doubt you tried the lastest....but anyway...I have tried all Gecko based browser....none include what MSN Premium includes.....
    If you 're happy with Firebird...fine....Good for you....I'm retrying Mozilla right now....just not convinced....will read your link and retry Firebird today

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Glad to see there is so much discussion going on about this topic. I like the MSN Premium interface, and in fact back when it came out I thought it was going to overtake IE completely and become the new default browser. Back then it was free, and did everything IE did, except it looked a lot better, was integrated fabulously and so on.

Now it has taken on a life of its own and is a paid-for service. If it were stil free, I might use it. But as it is a paid for service, and I don't use MSN for my internet, I doubt I'd ever use it.. same with AOHell.

But for users that use MSN for their internet access, I think it is an added benefit, depending on how you look at it.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I'm with lynch. After using IE for years, I finally decided to give Firebird a go (only recently) and I must say that I am impressed!!

It is a great browser and I find the tabbed browsing very convenient, including the way you can navigate through the tabs completely with the keyboard - very handy

If you've tried Mozilla, but not Firebird, give it a go...i see a huge difference and may advantages in using Firebird!

Titanium Member
    Originally posted by guillaumeb
    oh cause my using of MSN Explorer makes me a newbie.....once again the time of MSN Explorer 6 or 7 is over MAn!!!!I doubt you tried the lastest....but anyway...I have tried all Gecko based browser....none include what MSN Premium includes.....
    If you 're happy with Firebird...fine....Good for you....I'm retrying Mozilla right now....just not convinced....will read your link and retry Firebird today
    No, I said I was a newbie when I was using MSN explorer. I am not interested in what MSN 9 services includes. I want my browser to be just a browser not an all-in-one service. I can find things and open apps on my own without the need of bloatware.

I also want to be able to change the look (icons, etc) if I choose to.

...and a per month charge? No thanks.

I see nothing that is worth paying for that msn offers.

"MSN Premium, which is targeted at broadband- connected households, includes advanced communication options allowing customers to access their e-mail, calendar and contact information when, where and how they want it. Rich digital information-sharing features allow customers to get the most out of their digital photo collections; and extensive safety and security features, such as the Pop-Up Guard, help customers have a safe and more enjoyable experience while online," the company said.

Microsoft is trying to leverage the traffic to its MSN.com web site to what it sees as the market for add-on broadband services.

Microsoft said MSN Premium will "enable consumers to have universally available access to e-mail, calendar and contacts from any Internet-connected location, using their choice of software -- from a basic Internet browser to advanced clients such as Microsoft Outlook -- to access their complete information." MSN Premium subscribers will receive 25 MB of e-mail storage for the primary account, and then there can be as many as 10 additional e-mail accounts, each with 10 MB of storage and to send attachments up to 3 MB in size.

Microsoft is trying to tie software applications and broadband connections together. MSN Premium will include "a dramatically advanced My MSN custom home page, an improved dashboard, and productivity applications such as MSN Photo Plus, Money Plus and Encarta Plus."

Microsoft said it will be offering what it is calling "Photo Sharing via MSN Messenger," a means for sharing digital photos through MSN Messenger 6 service from MSN.

In addition to pushing an array of new software features that will tie into the MSN Premium service, the company is also trying to leverage its content like MSN Sports and its relationship with ESPN. Microsoft said that MSN Entertainment is the second entertainment site on the Web, while MSNBC is the number one news site on the Web.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 8th, 2003 at 16:02 PM.

Titanium Member

Opera 7.22
    After years of using IE I decided to try Opera with JAVA just last night and man am I impressed. Pop-up ads that plagued my IE are not popping up on Opera. Its fast. I am not sure if it is any faster than IE, but it is just as fast. However, I am a broadband user and cannot compare it to 56K connections. Years ago I tried Opera and I remembered it stalled on me a lot whereas IE did not, so I chose to use IE and never looked back. The main reason I decided to give Opera a try las t night was the pop-ups I was getting with IE.

Don't know how long this ad free environment will last but I am enjoying every minute of it.

guillaumeb "G", nice to meet you. You and lynchknot "LK" both make a lot of sense. Believe me G, LK is not arguing with you. I know him well and he is not challenging you at all. Over time I am sure you will see this.

Titanium Member
    That's right Guillaumeb, it's not a challenge. Your very first post was: "Your opinion: MSN or Yahoo! ?" You have continued posting in this same forum, relating topic, so I am just expressing my opinion. It is nice to have you here at techzonez and you are very welcome here.