Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap web server?? What do you think?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Question Cheap web server?? What do you think?

Toshiba - Magnia SG20 Wireless Ready Multifunction Appliance Server
    OK, TigerDirect has this promotion. My router is working really crazy lately, so I was thinking to give this one a go. After all a router can cost 80 (Linksys) so why not pay a bit more and have a lot of extras included???
    Now, my real question is, how could I take advantage of the device? Could I use it for my web host?.
    I think it is a interesting project to make it work as a web host. Would you guys be up to it??

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation yeah

itd be a great web host right now im building a desktop then im turing this notbook into a web server, lol im using .Net Enterprise editon to do it, and linux,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

looks sweet,

qspeed might not be the greatest but its wireless and with a kickin os yo'll have a rocken web host, that could be very usefull,

OK, then I am getting it. I will use it as Rouer too
    The question is how do I turn this into a web server ????

Talking .Net Web Editon,

thats all you need.and iv got it, if you need admins ill glady volunteer, hehe, and iv got a dedicated server myself, and im making a web hosting server with the enterpirse editon to give ppl a chance to help build the servers for COD (Call Of Duty) i can get blazing high speed but its like $250 a month so it must be mega bandwith,

Well, what I meant is what I need in order to set up the web server. I was refering to Domain for example. Could I use Dynns and redirect the IP to the server??
    Would it kill my bandwith if I use it to host my signature also??
    Those were my questions. Now, for another point I think also that .Net would be better because if I host games, it will have to run Windows or I would have to get the Linux version for the game. humm

Exclamation not 100% sure,

well not all games run linus for thier servers but most fps games do but they also have the windwos coutner part added with thecd.s or for download, and fora domain it wouldnt be too hard, youd just need to have a few comps or add it to a primary domain makein it a child doman, then setup a dns through .Net and you shold be all set to go if not you could use noip.com for a dns name or a redirect,

Depends on if you are doing this for profit or for hobby. If you are doing it for profit I would install it at a ISP. For fun I would install it at home.

it is too low a server for profit. It is mainly for fun, and as an experience.
    I want to host my personal web page, and maybe the signature too, because the host is always cutting it

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I use a program called "www file serve pro" to host my signature selector beta v2 website

it is basically a website that has some sigs i can choose.

You can also uplad ore sigs to ti from the web

it is really cool and worth checking out

just create your webpages like you normally fdo and tell fileshare to use your index .

now use no-ip to get a name for your domain and your set

mine is egghead.no-ip.org

it is down until i get my home internet back up

down for a week\
    ------------------------------------------------------------

yep, something like that would be ok. After all it is only 200 bucks, for a sig host (and router, and VPN, and web server, and game server, and MP3 server for myself :P)
    BTW, I got it today. I hope to be able to pook around it in the weekend a little bit, thought I will have a busy one. I was thinking if it stills behaves good to install a large drive into it, and have there the mule, so the write to disk don't affect my performance. I had been thinking to have a separate PC for that for a while, and that might be able to do it, thought I could us another one. Just a thought at the moment

OK, I got it and it is running. Actually I am writting this connected thru the Magnia (Not in the Magnia thought).
    Here are my impresions:
    It is like a beefed up router/VPN/Web server solution. It is not in the small computer road thought.
    I am still reading thru the user guide, so I can use it more in an advance way. It is based in Red Hat 7, but I don't see Linux Interface.
    Well, this is how it works, you connect thru Intranet interface to configure it, like you would do with a router.
    Unfortunately it doesn't have KVM ports (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) so it is the only way, unless I enable telnet to it.
    This restrictme in what I can do, meaning I cannot just format and install W Server 2003, or RH9 if I wanted.
    I don't know if I can install other software yet, thought it looks doubtfull.
    For the moment, I configured VPN (So I can acces my music from the office ) and I am trying to find a more advance way to set up the firewall. I need Firewall. Later I will try to find a way to install extra software.
    If I had known this, I would had prefered buying a cheap PC (eMachines @ WalMart) and a switch, but well, it is done.
    It looks great for more like bussiness orientated networks. But not that much for what I want it to do. Live and learn. It is fancy thought, and it looks cool.

Exclamation can you mod?

if you can mod it as in add a nic then i can help ya saetup a win 2003 install,

Well, it has a PCMCIA slot, and that is about it. I can add a second hard drive, but it uses laptop HDD. After that it only has paralell port, 8 network connections, 1 WAN, and one modem

Question hmm,

okay do you know if it has a PXE nic intagrated?