Thread: Why does Windows XP puts shortcuts an programs(?) in its Startup --> Programs Folder?

Why does Windows XP puts shortcuts an programs(?) in its Startup --> Programs Folder?

Hi:

Here's the first of 2 questions.

Today I went C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\Start Menu\Programs and I could have now clicked on Startup. (I didn't). In that folder called "Programs" I found shortcuts to Internet Explorer, PowerPoint Viewer, Outlook Express, Remote Assistance (re XP's 'Help & Support'), Talk Sender and Windows Media Player. What is the point of these shortcuts in that Programs folder? Why would I go there to use a shortcut?

Next Question. Also in this same folder were 16 yellow folders with a rectangle partly overlapping each folder. In the rectangle was a bar across the top and below that 6 little rectangles of colorful dots. (I've never understood just what these combination icons stand for.) Here are a few of the names of the folders: Panicware, PestPatrol, Bugtoaster, DivX, Insight JVA. They appear to be programs. ARE they the entire program in your estimation? And in any case why would you put an entire program in the Start Menu Program folder

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Click start, click all programs.

Those folders and shortcuts are part of your start menu not startup folder.

As you typed:

C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\Start Menu\Programs

Start Menu, not startup

It puts shortcuts there so you can access them in your ALL PROGRAMS menu after you click on the start button.

Hope that helps.

Those 16 folders are also listed on your Start menu. Usually they represent and application that has more than 1 function or feature...

Like Accessories has more than 10 tools.. so they put it in one folder for better organization.

And thanks for this answer too, BB. Now it makes sense to me.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

BB:

Soe of these questions may be obvious but I ask them in an effort to grasp clearly just what the various parts of the O/S do (desktop icons, systray, the All Programs list, Start Menu folder, Start Up folder.)

I was rereading my earlier questions and your answer today (1/14/04) and you said this in answer:

"It (the start menu) puts shortcuts there so you can access them in your ALL PROGRAMS menu after you click on the start button."

1. Well, there are a lot of programs (shortuts) in my "All Programs" list that are not in C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\Start Menu\Programs. How come? Are some programmers just choosing to find another way other than shortcuts in the just-referenced folder to take you to a program when you click on it in the "All Programs" list?

2. Next question: So the Start Up folder exists for a programmer to put shortcuts in to cause programs to actually open and be ready to go when one boots up, yes?