Thread: RAM: dual channel Q

RAM: dual channel Q

is dual channel ram, as in, this biostar mobo. http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails...el=m7ncd+ultra better than my set up with pc2700 512mb ram - one module?

is it better, when building a computer, to buy mobo's with the dual channel ability?

thank you.

later
    beebster

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi beebster

The Nforce2 dual channel is reported by reviews/users to give around 2%-5% increase in performance. Its also known that in some cases the boards are more picky on what type (brand) of ram and its timings in dual channel as opposed to single channel. AMD XP Athlons don't really make use of dual channel like the Intel P4 and new AMD Athlon 64.

I don't think you'll see much of a diffirence between dual channel vs single in the Nforce2...unless your looking at the final score of a benchmark, you won't feel it in the seat of you pants You'll also need more than PC2700 ram to take the Nforce2 up to 400+fsb were it performs the best, PC3200/3500 is what you need.

I would be leary of that Biostar board, I don't think thats a good heat sink on the northbridge chip, that will need replacing plus the southbridge chip will need a sink put on it. Best to spend a few extra $ on an ASUS, Abit or Epox board.

The Nforce2 is still the top performing chip for the AMD Athlon XP even in single channel...what little extra you get from dual channel only helps

BTW the VIA boards are only a few % points behind the Nforce2...your pants will be on alittle tighter in case you feel something......

Let us know if you need any help, we have members running the Nforce2 boards.

thank you.