Thread: Satellite ICS Internet Connection Sharing

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Satellite ICS Internet Connection Sharing

Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing allows you to configure your home computer network to share a single connection to the Internet. This troubleshooting topic describes how to configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to use DIRECWAY as your shared connection to the Internet. Please note that you may need your Windows installation CD-ROM when installing and configuring ICS.

Configuring your DIRECWAY system as your ICS gateway to the Internet

These instructions assume that your DIRECWAY system has a Network Interface Card (NIC) installed and the TCP/IP protocol is bound to the adapter.

Choose the Windows operating system that your DIRECWAY satellite modem is installed on:

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SETUP FOR WINDOWS

==============================================

Thought some of you using Satellite internect connections might find this useful for sharing your connection amongst a small network. Seems you have to use one PC as a gateway (always on).. but it looks rather simple to setup.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Unfortunately,the procedure for ics only works with Direcway 2 way systems,hence the always on stipulation.I tried to set my home network up with a wireless Dlink set up and after hours on the phone with Dlink support,they finnally admitted it couldn't be done because the usb satellite modem on my 1 way system does not have a nic connection.I can upgrade for $479 for the hardware and $60/mo. for the service and then I can get the faster uploads.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The price of the hardware is expensive. But I think it is worth it.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    The price of the hardware is expensive. But I think it is worth it.
    I feel that it is also BB but Xmas is coming and my savings are spoken for.I will regroup after the holidays and set up some savings for it.With your help maybe I can set up a fast server.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

BB-Direcway internet has served me well. I have had my moments when I considered going back to dial-up, but they faided quickly.

The ICS Networking method never worked for me. I tried three times and finally gave up. I used step-by-step setups available on the net. There was just something that prevented success.

The good news is that Direcway has just released the DW6000 modem, which has the up and down link in a single box. It also eliminates the need for software on your computer to make everything work. That modem automatically updates itself and eliminates the current requirement for a dial-line to register your computer.

This will have a tremendous advantage when considering networking. Like a cable modem you can then use a router and CAT5 cables to wire the network. Obviously, you can use the other options open to Cable users.

The DW6000 is abailable to new customers. I am anxiously awaiting their upgrade offer.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hello All,
    I just setup an older one-way "classic" dial-return Direcpc system with ICS. It all seems to work fine ~except~ for a rather strange problem. My client machines (4-all XP) seem to get as good as expected download speeds, in the neighborhood of 600-700kbps but my host machine can only get abou 110-120 kbps. For example, I downloaded the new Firefox browser from www.mozilla.org. The download on my host machine that's hooked up to the USB modem was 13.9Kb/sec. It took 8 minutes to download a 6.5MB file. One of the client machines using my host via ICS, downloaded the exact same file, from the same site at 62.5Kb/sec and took 1min:27sec. Go figure.

I would expect some degradation on the host due to overhead but the difference of download speeds between the host and client is really huge...much more than one would think could be caused by overhead. If it were a network configuration or resource issue, one would think it would effect downstream rates as viewed by the clients as well, but it does not. Very counterintuitive.

I've uninstalled the firewall, and disconnected the host from the network to see if it made any difference with the host being a stand-alone machine but the speed was the same.

Any ideas as to where to look would be appreciated. Tx.

Steve

P3-1.0ghz 256k - Dpcdr

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to TZ forum,

The first time you downloaded the program, the 13.9kb/s speed might have been the link speed, then when you downloaded it again from another PC within network, it either got a better link to website or your Host computer may have cached the file and simply transfered sections or all of it to you.

You have to check the internet settings for the Host machine, perhaps you need some tweaks to MTU etc to get more efficient link to your ISP etc

Goodluck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---