Thread: US loses 500k+ tech jobs in 2002

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

US loses 500k+ tech jobs in 2002

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/34072.html

The US technology industry lost more than half a million jobs in 2002, taking sector employment levels to six million.

Worst hit was electronics manufacturing, which accounted for more than half of US tech job losses between 2001 and 2002. This suggests a hollowing out of US assembly, as production is outsourced overseas.

It was a tough year too for the software sector which suffered its first jobs decline - 150,000 losses - in the seven years that the tech employment statistics have been compiled by AeA, a US trade association. Undoubtedly, the US tech industry was in the throes of post dotcom slump cost-cutting in 2002. But the fear of many Americans is that these job losses are structural, not cyclical. In other words, the cosy middle class income and employability assumptions of American computer programmers, is being undermined by the emergence of just-as-clever-but-much-cheaper programming talent in India and Russia.

AeA forecasts more tech industry net job losses in 2003 - around 234,000. This is a slower rate of decline than 2004, which may give cause for hope.

And now for a quote from William Archey, AeA president. "These declines have caused us to pause about two important issues. We are aware of current budget constraints, but now is not the time to cut back on education, particularly in math and science. We need a world-class workforce to deal with world-class challenges. Our second concern is the decline in basic research, particularly in technology, by the federal government. We worry that we have eaten the seed corn of federal research of 20 and 30 years ago that is not being replenished."

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yeah where me and stripe work they laid off about 8 people, but now our dept is booming and is on mandatory OT so I think we're safe at the moment. but I saw a comic strip that had a geek holding a sign that said MCSE will work 4 food.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Originally posted by phishhead
    yeah where me and stripe work they laid off about 8 people, but now our dept is booming and is on mandatory OT so I think we're safe at the moment. but I saw a comic strip that had a geek holding a sign that said MCSE will work 4 food.
    If they need help I would be happy to come out there...for the right price naturally...and I saw one on xperties' site. It was a wino holding a sign saying "Will code for food"

Banned
    Better get used to it. In August, the American consultants Forrester Research predicted that the US will lose 3.3 million(!) white-collar jobs between now and 2015. Most of them will go to India. Just over half of these are menial "back office" jobs, such as taking calls and typing up data. The rest belong to managers, accountants, underwriters, computer programmers, IT consultants, biotechnicians, architects, designers and corporate lawyers. If you live in a rich nation in the English-speaking world, and most of your work involves a computer or a telephone, don't expect to have a job in five years' time. It's the logical outcome of 'market forces' and 'the global economy'. If it can be done overseas, and it's cheaper to do it overseas (and it nearly always is), then it will be done overseas.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i'm gonna buy a boat.

just so i am ready

those are scary facts

enjoy it while you can.

im gonna buy a porshe

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    No offense to any people from India, but i hear that their infrastructure can't support reliably those new tech jobs that these companies are transfering there to save their precious profits. I hear the mail system is horrible, transportation is wretched, the power goes off randomly, and so on...

I think these companies are selling out the very people that buy their products. Pretty soon they will feel the effect of moving all these jobs overseas. There will be far less people to buy their goods, which will cause more international transfers.. which in turn will cause more lost jobs in the US, which will continue on and on.

If I were a businessman, I would think hard on transferring operations and management/white collar jobs abroad to save a few bucks. Instead I would invest in the very region where I am more likely to sell my goods.

I agree in the short-term, they'll make huge profits off of the reduced labor costs, but that is short term.. in the long run, when people lose jobs, they buy less, which slows the economy.

I think to counter this, the US should tax heavily any goods that can be assembled or produced domestically, that is being produced abroad at a cheaper rate. Or even fine companies heavily for pulling out of the domestic market and going abroad to increase their already over-bloated profit margins.

I also think that these companies that lay off workers should be boycotted. BUt that will never happen because it is difficult to organize.

Imagine a time when all these countries that these companies are moving to, now have the technology and advancement to start sending menial jobs back to the US because we are poor....

Companies should stop selling out the American Dream for the sake of a few dollars that line the pockets of only a few.