Thread: Removing W2K

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Removing W2K

I've got a computer that I have been playing with that I had just installed W2K on.I decided to put XP on instead so I installed it over W2K,and I chose to keep it as the second operating system.Now I would like to reclaim the hard drive space by eliminating W2K.They are both ntfs.What is the best and easiest way to do this?It's all on one partition so maybe it can't be done.Anyone have any ideas besides reformatting?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well there should be two windows directories in the root directory which is usually C:

One might be called WINNT, and the other Windows. If so, just delete the winnt folder.

Then edit the boot.ini file in windows XP, and remove the reference to windows 2000 and make sure the default OS is set to XP.

Should look something like this when you are finished:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

see how the default=multi(0).....

Is the same as the Operating systems listed?

That is important. Make sure this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

is the same for the default and for the [operating systems]

They must match.

But honestly, I'd do a reformat if I were you.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I noticed that windows xp deposits the same temp files in the winnt folder,but that shouldn't make a difference.Also the same downloaded files in the xp have been copied to the same named folder in wi2k winnt.Well I would normally just reformat but my girlfriend and I are playing a game on the machine and I don't want to disrupt that right now.I already took the reference out in the .ini section.Not sure how much space win2k takes up but I think around 500MB?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    A reformat shouldn't be neccessary...XP an 2K are both robust OSes so you shouldnt have too many hassles. Just follow BBs advice, it is spot on.

Monitor your PCs performance...if it stats getting flakey...format away...but you should be right.