Thread: Scandinavian Countries Rated Top For Internet Access

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

Scandinavian Countries Rated Top For Internet Access

GENEVA -- Scandinavia is number one online, but South Korea and other Asian countries are catching up fast.

A report from the U.N. communications agency says Sweden tops the world in access to the Internet and other communications technologies, followed by Denmark and Iceland. Norway is fifth.

But South Korea is the world leader in high-speed "broadband" access. South Koreans are heavy users of the Internet for games, chatting and other uses -- coming in fourth overall. Filling out the top 10 are the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Finland, Taiwan and Canada.

The United States is 11th -- held back in part by an underdeveloped mobile phone system. An author of the report says another reason is the U.S. government has done little to encourage competition among service providers, so prices remain high compared with Asia.
    source:

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If the US keeps screwing around, they are going to turn the country into crap in terms of internet access. I mean I can get fiber in Japan for the cost of DSL in the US....

The US needs to learn how to role out fiber all over the country, and promote competition, like they do in Asia. I can choose from about 4 different fiber providers just in my area alone, and I live in the boonies!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    The US needs to learn how to role out fiber all over the country, and promote competition, like they do in Asia. I can choose from about 4 different fiber providers just in my area alone, and I live in the boonies!
    I wish Australia had this problem I cant get 56k only 28k, let alone DSL... while 2 miles away Supa gets 512 and even worse, my uncle lives 20 miles away further in the boonies, and they just got DSL... gee I picked the right neighborhood!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Well I've been having a hard time getting a broadband connection in our office. My home ISP can't connect us since our phone lines are fiber-optic (copper needed for DSL), one cable internet provider wants $ 381 (for long wires!) as an installation fee since they need to tap the other street's connection since the one in our street is has reached its capacity. Finally one smaller Telco company just installed the necessary infrastructure for DSL in our building and I might have it installed by Friday next week. It's gonna cost $ 49 for a 128 kbps connection!