Thread: In rebuttal of the Dell Front page story...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

In rebuttal of the Dell Front page story...

This is getting embarassing.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/7345841.htm

"India's Dell says no orders received to revert customer calls to U.S.
    S. SRINIVASAN
    Associated Press

BANGALORE, India - A day after Texas-based computer maker Dell Inc. said it had stopped routing calls from corporate customers to its technical support center in southern India, the center here said no such thing had happened.

"We did not send back any calls to the U.S.," the Dell International Services' spokeswoman in the high-tech hub of Bangalore, said on Tuesday. The spokeswoman said she did not want to be quoted by name.

Technical support for Dell's Optiplex desktop and Latitude notebook computers, normally handled in Bangalore, is to henceforth be handled from call centers in Texas, Idaho and Tennessee, Dell spokesman Jon Weisblatt had told The Associated Press in Austin, Texas on Monday.

"Customers weren't satisfied with the level of support they were receiving, so we're moving some calls around to make sure they don't feel that way anymore," Weisblatt said.

"Now, I don't know why Jon said that," the Dell spokeswoman in Bangalore said. "We are committed to India and we are growing."

Austin-based Dell is among scores of U.S. companies that set up customer call centers in India and other developing nations to save costs from lower wages. Others have outsourced the work to Indian companies to achieve the same purpose.

However, there have been complaints that the Indian call center workers' accents and lack of power to resolve serious problems have elicited angry reactions from customers. Some said Indians provided only standard replies and their calls had to be transferred to a U.S. center to get things done.

A bulletin board on Dell's Web site has attracted scathing remarks by customers on the Indian center's service quality.

"Ever wonder why Dell always has long wait times? Dell has a major customer service/tech support in India! They do not speak English very well and things get screwed up," a Dell customer said in a posting in August.

In one of the replies to this message, another customer said, "Because Dell has fired its American support folks and outsourced the deal to India, the entire concept of customer service is compromised."

There were some happy customers, too.

One of them claimed to have gotten very good service. "Say what you will and complain all you want about Dell's India tech support, but if they continue to give me this kind of service, I don't care if they move their tech support to the moon.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I can't wait to see who is the first company to answer customers calls on the moon?

It's funny to see how far away some companies will go to get away from tech calls.

"Why don't we move our call center to INDIA?"

this way we can save on long distance and simply hang-up if the question is to difficult or if it is our breaktime.

so this is where our American jobs are going?

You have reached Dell customer srevice, A division of bombay air conditioning and Taxi service.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Rev,
    Can you switch hosts to India, so we can get a cheaper deal? IF the power goes off there, I don't mind if the forums are down for hours on end, as long as we get the cheapest host possible.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Re-routing TZ to Bangalore as we speak.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    There are a lot of Call Centers here in the Philippines who handle calls that are thought to be handled in the USA.

If the English level is the same abroad than in the US, I am all for it. But if it is not, then I think it is a bad move.

Of course even in the states, there are language and accent barriers. As I said, I worked in a call center that outsourced for Microsoft, and well, even the customers were sometimes difficult for me to understand and I am a native speaker. I can imagine the difficulty that a non-native speaker could have in this situation.

I think it is a bad idea to outsource calls for English support to foreign countries to save a few bucks. Imagine if Mexico sent their tech support to Russia, or if China sent their's to Ireland.

It doesn't make financial or even common sense to me. And it tells me that the companies that do it, don't value their customers and don't really give a rats arse about technical support.

But realistically, I know they have ways to check on this. When I did it, they constantly were checking us. YOu'd not hear a word, but they would record your calls and rate you afterward without your knowledge. And there was usually a rep from MS on the line as well. Three bad ratings in a row, and you were canned...

I should think this would apply there as well. Anyone of you have a Dell? Feel like recording your conversation and see how well their tech support really is? This would be an interesting research topic, surely to make front page news

You could record it and put it on the HDD in Mp3 format. Would be great! IF I had a Dell I would.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan
    There are a lot of Call Centers here in the Philippines who handle calls that are thought to be handled in the USA.
    Very true. And just to throw an opinion on it, there are good techs everywhere. I think that in a lot of ways it's the cultural differences that cause the problems.

Thanks Rev! Slow as ever, and the forums seem to flicker on and off occasionally.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    Thanks Rev! Slow as ever, and the forums seem to flicker on and off occasionally.
    hehe, I just won a coupon for free carpet cleaning!

nice job with the move to india gents

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by egghead
    hehe, I just won a coupon for free carpet cleaning!

nice job with the move to india gents
    You're lucky, I got a special deal on 100 lbs of Curry Rice I think the cleaning lady wont be too happy with left overs

But, As long as service is good, easy and efficient, then doesnt really matter where the call centres go... we have similar setup with Telco, its funny ringing up fault center and they live on other side of Australia, how are they supposed to know if a truck knocked over the telephone pole??

Oh well, it is a little sad though to see jobs leaving America or own country, to go for a cheaper place. If the economy goes down, then everyone is effected

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I think it matters for the very reason you stated Cash_site:
    Oh well, it is a little sad though to see jobs leaving America or own country, to go for a cheaper place. If the economy goes down, then everyone is effected
    I think if the economy were good, and the service remained the same, then these service oriented jobs should be outsourced to increase profits.

BUt companies tend only to try to increase profits and decrease jobs when the economy is ailing..