Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a New Beast! (PC)

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

Exclamation Creating a New Beast! (PC)

okay its that time of the year, and i need some opinions, on this, i gave away my old sys the nfroce 2 A7N8X with the 2000+ OCED to 3200+ sionce i was moving and had no way to gettin it plus im sure my Bro could use it since he only plays games like AC2, UT2K3, on it, but now im at Square 1, im looking at 1 of 2 systems changes,

1, rebuild using current cpus mobos, using bartons 3200 or something cheaper then ocing to 3200 lol,

2, or geting into the 64 bit cpus,

from what iv seen its no more then a few fps in some games, nothing like the vids i seen when it was still under wraps, now that its out its like it only improves a few things here and thier,

but if i do go 64 bit im not sure on which cpu the Athlon 64 FX-51
    or the Athlon 64,

and now for a mobo that will support the faster drr then 400 like all others out thier,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I say #1, IMO the 64bit stuff is a waste of $$$ at this point in time, let things mature (lower $, better MB's, 64bit OS) first before the 64bit move.

Lets face it how fast do we need to be ? many of us here at TZ have XP's/P4's that are friggin super fast now! The bottle neck in my system is the keyboard/mouse and the thing between the chair and monitor...lol

The money you save in not buying the XP 64bit would be better spent on a couple of Raptor HD's thats speed you'll really notice...

Don't get caught up in the benchmark wars, ask yourself "How fast do I need to be" now is the best time to build a nice fast low cost AMD Athlon/Intel P4 system that will be plenty fast enough, it should hold you till todays bleeding edge tech becomes tomarrows low $ standard...

Titanium Member
    I thought the bottleneck was between your ears.

Originally posted by lynchknot
    I thought the bottleneck was between your ears.
    Ya..well its a good thing that "bottleneck" wasn't in effect when a certain person I know was trying to install Win XP with a Frontpage CD...hehe

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by FastGame
    Ya..well its a good thing that "bottleneck" wasn't in effect when a certain person I know was trying to install Win XP with a Frontpage CD...hehe
    I certainly rmember that!

thanks,

okay so what kinda system would play COD properly, since my old system was slower then a snail,

1,MB, A7N8X rev 2
    2,amd 3200+ 3.13 ghz
    3,1024 mb DDR 333
    4,Geforce 4 Ti 4600 128 Asus Ultra Deluxe
    5,maxtor Diamond Plus 7200rpm 8 mb cache,

and that chuged in Asherons Call 2, UT2K3, and Battle Feild 1942,

som i was lookin into gettin somethin that would handel my games and actaully be quick enough to play newer games out thier, im either goin to wait for PCI Xpress, or gettin a Radeon 9800 Pro XT ultra since Nvidia is suckking exhaust Fumes, now,

Well shadow when it comes to games the PS2 & Xbox at $179 are looking pretty good when you pair them with a nice 36" Tv and HT system.

The 9800 XT is the top's, the new PC games comming out can even make that card chug by some peoples standards so what's the answer ? most PC games scale to the GFX card and most of the newer games are less CPU dependent than before. Top of the line GFX card and a system with lots of memory bandwidth is the answer. Its hard to make a fast Intel/AMD system chug, but if they do then oh well guess we wait for the future.

I say wait for the future...it cost less to wait than investing in it now.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i have a p4 1.7gig with an ati 9700 pro and i play the game at 1600x1024 at full quality and the game plays like melting butter

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I've got a similar system with half the ram of yours but with a soft modded Radeon 9500 and COD flies right along.Got to be your vid card as stated above.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

odd

the video was clocked from 650 to 800 for the gpu, and 500 fro the ram, the system was faster then hell and it still chuged, and this happened on a clean format i personaly optimzed it woth certain tweaks, that have worked in similar systems, and the temops were down to 20 celsuis,so it was low, i had it at a smokin speed, but games seem to not liek the Graphics Card, never had a serious crash till my cooling failed and the system cuaght fire,

My 9800pro runs games at 1600x1200 max settings like a champ! those friggin ATI cards are awesome and the games look like jewels

No chuging on my end of town

Titanium Member

Re: odd

Originally posted by shadow_warez
    temops were down to 20 celsuis[/B]
    - that's colder than my room temperature.

heh yeah,

but can i get some techys who work in the tech fields, to help me build a machine that will not chug, i do want those WD Sata drives, 10k rpms, and a serious performer for a cpu, i have a hardware unlocker for all xp's, so i can get a serious oc goin again anyhelp would be great, i just wanna be able to join TZ again in a big way, lol to frag with the best,

bytewize

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Well shadow_warez, I gotta say that I play my games on a 1gb PIII, 512 ram, and a 9700 Pro and it plays just fine. Quake III and several mods, UT2K3, SOF II, they all play great and look wonderful. Obviously these Radeon card just ROCK!! and make gameplay very enjoyable. SATA as you know is faster for data transfer but if you are playing the game straight off the hdd and not from the cd, it works just fine on IDE.

yeah i know,

im also goin to be usin them with iso imgs, to make em faster with a virtual drive, like Alcohol 120%, and the radeons seem to be giving Nvidia the beat down, i used to love Nvidia they rocked but getting my GF ti 4600 was a Dissapointment, and well it was a let down, so im prob goin to have to switch wince games wouldnt work so good with nvidia, ill try ati, see what they got,
    and eventually go for nvidia once they learn to make a GFX Card that lowers img quailty to gain performance, and to be ready for games to come, and be fast enough to play games in high detail with no probs, im lookin at spending at most $2000 to get the parts, then get the video card, so what ever the card cost ill addon to the 2000 for the hardware,