Thread: Offensive jargon comes under fire

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Offensive jargon comes under fire

Technology firms supplying Los Angeles County with hardware have been asked to avoid using the words "master" and "slave" to describe their products.

The request follows a complaint by one LA County employee who considered the description offensive. The worker filed a discrimination complaint after seeing videotape machines labelled with the words.

Hi-tech firms supplying the county are being asked to avoid unacceptable labels and instead use alternatives.

Technology firms were asked to use different terms in an e-mail sent to them on 18 November by Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services for LA County's Internal Services Department. In the message Mr Sandoval wrote: "Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label."

The terms "master" and "slave" are used frequently throughout the hi-tech world to describe a configuration in which one piece of hardware controls another.

In an interview Mr Sandoval said the e-mail message was no more than a request and was not intended as an ultimatum. "I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

BBC News

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

Re: Offensive jargon comes under fire

Originally posted by Reverend
    Technology firms supplying Los Angeles County with hardware have been asked to avoid using the words "master" and "slave" to describe their products.
    GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

Keep away from my PlayboyTV...

OK???

gheesh!

egghead

Titanium Member
    From this day forward all computer drives shall be referred to as, Pimp and Ho.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 28th, 2003 at 03:20 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Nice one Lynch!

Works for me. I can't wait for the first thread concerning a pimp drive.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Connecting the Hard Disk Drive.

1) Connect the thing to the thing and make sure that the jumper, no wait "jumper" may be offensive to someone with a mental problem.

1) Connect the thing to the thing and make sure the device that connects the appropriate pins of the setting socket, no wait "socket" could be offensive to someone with a fear of fighting, i.e. sock it (to hit with force).

1) Connect the thing.
    2) Connect the other thing.
    3) Make sure to connect the thing to the thing.
    4) Boot the, no wait "Boot" could be offensive...

Just forget it.............

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    This is got to be a joke right ? what a bunch of idiots...

So what's next ? will we still be able to connect a *male* plug into the *female* recepticle without asking or will that be rape....

How will the Pimp & Ho hard drives work if the female ends say no to the male IDE cables....

Can you hear silence in the woods ?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Bi-directional is no longer a parallel port setting in the bios that you can change. As we all know being bi is not a choice, it is something that happens when the motherboard is created...

and as odd as the article quoted by the Rev. sounds, it is completely true. Thanks to our "non-techy" friends in Cali for this PC screwball decision.