Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: memory testing

memory testing

not sure if I am in the right place, but here goes,

just a small ?

How do you stop the memory testing during post, I have stopped it before, but cant remember how now, thanx in advance for any info.......
    Madamant

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Reboot and hold down the DEL key to enter the BIOS menu.

Then go into the section called "Advanced BIOS Features" (or similar depending on your BIOS version).

Look for "Quick Power On Self Test" (or similar) and set it to Enable by using the page up/down keys.

Then press Escape or F10 and Save & Exit.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Oh I was going to suggest that as soon as you start your system and hear a beep then quickly reach around the back of the computer and pull the plug out.LOL J/Kidding,Madamant welcome to Techzones.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanx guys, I new it was in the bios, but couldn't remember which setting, your a great help, thanx again,

glad to be here, thanx for the welcome........
    Madamant

awww, it still does it on either enabled or disabled, it was enabled so I disabled it, and it still did it, so I re-enabled and still does it, what now? I wonder...........
    Madamant

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    It should definately be set to Enabled so that the Power On Self Test bypasses the memory testing count.

Does the Memory test show the correct amount of RAM for your machine.

One other thing you could try is re-seat the RAM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Originally posted by Reverend
    It should definately be set to Enabled so that the Power On Self Test bypasses the memory testing count.

Does the Memory test show the correct amount of RAM for your machine.

One other thing you could try is re-seat the RAM.
    Yep, it registeres the right amount of ram, I have 1024MB PC2700 333 DDR. and the power on self test is enabled.

the memory count still runs during post..

re-seat the memory, all my memory banks are filled, do you mean change them about?
    Madamant

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What motherboard do you have ? sometimes settings don't take effect due to the bios malfunction.

Have you tried clearing the Cmos ?

Make sure you hit *Save Bios Settings & Exit* and if it continues to count ram then maybe you should re-flash the bios.

I flashed the bios last week, an update that was available, I have a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.

I always save any settings I make in bios...

Nope not tried clearing cmos, will give it a go laters and let you know...

Thanx again for the help...
    Madamant

Originally posted by Madamant
    I flashed the bios last week, an update that was available, I have a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.
    Is this when the problem started ? did use use the ASUS Live update to flash bios in windows ?

Try this first, turn off comp the unplug from power then hit the start button to discharge the caps, now move the CMOS jumper over to clear CMOS, mover jumper back then remove the battery for a few min and put back in. turn back on and see if that works.

If that doesn't work then hit F8 on boot & boot into safe mode and reflash bios with the ASUS windows flasher.

Remember that on the NF2 boards you live on the edge of having a dead bios so be careful. Never update a bios unless you've read the change log and it addresses a problem or need that you may have, new is not always better

I am not sure if it is when the prob started, as it has done it right from the start, I have only had this mobo about 2 months.

yep, I used the ASUS live update, I used the A drive to flash, just put the Bin file onto floppy, and everything went ok...

I will do the clear cmos now and report back....

How do you flash with ASUS window flasher, never heard of that one?
    Madamant

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    listen to fastgame he owns half of asus stocks. and if you ever have a flash go wrong go to badflash.com. I have the same board and had a flash go bad with the firewire. and they sent me one in about 3 days. I will never flash a bios again cross my heart and hope to die stick a needle in my eye.

Well the clear cmos didn't work either, only thing now is to reflash back the bios, gulp...
    Madamant

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    x x ing my fingers for ya

The ASUS live update is on your CD, I would go here and get the new version...download the *right bios* for your MB to desk top then in safe mode use the new ASUS flasher to re-do the bios, it will flash it in windows...no floppy

ASUS Live Updater

Be careful & don't poke phishhead in the eye....