Thread: IE has encountered a problem

Silver Member

IE has encountered a problem

The last week or so, once in a while, when I first click on Internet Explorer I get a message that " Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and need to close etc." I then say OK and click on the IE icon again, and it opens. I am running Windows XP Pro, IE 6.0 with all the security patches etc. Is there a repair somewhere for IE 6.0 in XP Pro ? I looked in Add/REmove programs but only saw Internet Explorer Q824145 Many thanks.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you tried Restoring Defaults?

Tools > Internet Options. On the Advanced Tab hit the "Restore Defaults" button and click apply.

Also,are you running any other browser software?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I will start by saying that I use IE only when it is absolutely necessary. In other words, there are a few sites that will not provide desired results when using Mozilla or Firebird (my browsers of choice). Luckily it is a very small number.

I have done some research. The most logical suggestions came from annoyancies.org. Two post are provided below:

1. "I had this problem. I followed the windows error report and it told me it was a problem with McAffee. I uninstalled it and it works fine now."

2. "How to Disable Internet Explorer Error Reporting

Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control
    Panel). Double-click System (or click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click
    System). Click the Advanced tab, and then click Error Reporting.
    Click Disable error reporting to disable both user and kernel-mode error reporting,
    or click to clear the Programs check box. Click OK, and then click OK."
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Hi Mike13

Most people are familiar with freeware, shareware, cookies, media players, interactive content, and file sharing. What they may not realize is that some of them actually collect and disseminate information about those using them. They can track your surfing habits, abuse your Internet connection by sending this data to a third party, profile your shopping preferences, hijack your browser start page or pages, alter important system files, Add additional popups to WebPages and they can do this without your knowledge or permission. The security and privacy implications of these exploits should be quite obvious and undesirable on any system or network!

You should check for spyware that may have hijacked your browser and could be using valuable bandwidth and has attached itself to the windows operating system. These things can send you email Spam and also send you additional popups at every web page you visit.
    You can download a program called "ad-aware". This is a free program that will detect 1000's of web tracking spy software that may have found a way on to your computer by using strange tricks. You may get it from here,

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

download,
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

These things really mess up Internet Explorer and crash your computer all the time.

You should delete everything it detects.
    cheers egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. This is what I have done so far. I went in and did that RESTORE DEFAULTS per Reverend. I then did a disk cleanup. I have Adaware 6 on my computer so I ran it again. It found 21 files that I then deleted. I then ran Perfect Disk 6.0 and defragged my system. The last three times I opened IE, I had no problem. It opened like it should. By the way, I do not have any other Browser on my computer, only IE. I will post back again if the problem reappears. Hopefully it is corrected. Many thanks to Reverend, efc, and egghead.