Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: start menu problems

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    When did you last defrag the HDD ??

Might be worth running a Disk Defrag.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    HDD is a little too old for the specs of your computer, it becomes a real bottle neck, especially when its start to use virtual-memory. I had similar problem on upgrade computer, upgrade everything to latest, except kept 10gb OLD HD, this thing was grinding by the time all progs installed. Waited until special on 80GB, then DriveCopy contents across All is sweet and dandy now, system response is amazing.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Banned
    i ran the defrag like three days ago

my hd is 6 years old is that too old
    6 years is certainly too old! I had an old 3GB seagate bought with the computer about 8 years ago. 4 years down the seagate crashed, suffering from the "stickion" problem. (Ok so I decided never to buy seagate ever again from on) I replaced it with another 3Gb Fujitsu but 4 years old now and its suffering multiple drive errors. I am losing clusters with evey boot. But don't worry, that computer is now my sister's! I am using a brand-new one. hehe. But she keeps pestering me to "fix" the drive errors. I just know its time to trash the old computer...I have another computer (a Gateway)now 3 years old, the Quantum Fireball in it is still good. I use a Dell 8300. I wonder if Hitachi drives is reliable or not? I know Maxtor is still the best!
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by joshsiao
    I wonder if Hitachi drives is reliable or not? I know Maxtor is still the best!
    In recent hardware reviews the Hitachi drives are proving to be quite good and are top performers!

I think the WD Raptors are the best when it comes to performance (non SCSI) then the Hitachi drives second. I use a Maxtor which I think is middle of the road now a days, nothing wrong with middle of the road

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 review

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try this go to msconfig and uncheck everything in there reboot...then go into the search. and see if it locks up if it doesnt try clicking on one at a time till it does lock up then you got the little booger.

Yes, Msconfig solves my similar problem.

If you find a entry by the name of "Intrenat.exe"
    you've got Trojaned.
    Also look at this article.:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...l.lemir.e.html