Thread: Extra page after a table in Word

Bronze Member

Extra page after a table in Word

This little quirk has been annoying me for some time and maybe there is a way round it!

If I have a table which ends at the bottom of a page (or at least so close that there isn't enough room for a normal text line following it) a new page follows the table even though there is nothing on it.

I assume this is caused by the fact that the table has a hard return after it but I don't have the option (as far as I can see) of getting rid of it.

Does anyone have any way round this. It has happened in every version of Word I've come across.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Not sure if this will do it but whenever I have a blank extra page I just press delete on that page until it disappears.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you tried dragging the bottom margin down in File > Page Setup.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    one other way, a little more complex,
    Highlight exactly what you want to print by clicking and dragging your mouse pointer over the area you want to print until it is highlighted.

Then click file, and print,

Then Check the Box that says, SELECTION, UNDER PAGE RANGE. That should then only print what you have selected.

But this doesn't fix the problem you are having, it is only a workaround really.

Bronze Member
    To Conan: What you suggest is a technique I often employ but it doesn't work in this case... there's nothing there which can be deleted!

To Reverend: Again this is a techinque I have used to get round it but of course, it alters the setup of the document.

To Big Booger: Indeed printing it can be achieved this way (or indeed by selecting the print range "-12" for example) but if I create the document for someone else they don't realise this needs to be done.

What, of course, is most annoying is that if it uses document automation the 12 pages (for example) all come out numbered 'page n of 13' cos Word thinks it knows best!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried any other office suites? Like Open Office, Star Office, Word Perfect, etc?

Perhaps they may handle this issue a little differently? Open Office is even free for download and accepts the .doc format natively.

Bronze Member
    This is quite true... and a far better solution than Mr Gates' attempts at software!