I recently installed windows 2000 on my PC
    which had been running Win 98.
    I also installed a hauppage PCTV card which is working
    fine.
    My problem is that since installing the above, my USB ports
    are not working.

In device manager, under USB controllers there is a device
    ALi PCI to USB open host Controller, this has a yellow
    circle with an exclamation mark after it.

When I click on the properties, the device status reads
    "the device could not start(code10)".

Acer is the manufacturer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
    device, I've gotten new drivers for the device from both ACER website, from ALi and driver downloads.com but it still doesn't work.

The usb ports are integrated into the motherboard, so
    I can remove any card and reseat it in a PCI slot.

I also recently has the msblast worm, don't know if this has
    anything to do with it.

Is there something I can do to get the USB ports working
    again?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you upgraded 2000 to SP4 ?

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Info & Download

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Just downloaded it now.

Should this work and if so, what was the problem?

It may fix it.
    Although reading your post again i think you may have an IRQ conflict with the TV card and the USB controller.

Basically,the PCI slot that you have installed the TV card into may be sharing an IRQ with your USB controller,therefore Windows is only loading one set of device drivers for that IRQ.In this case it is loading the TV card drivers.

Uninstall both devices from device manager and power down your machine.Disconnect the PSU and move your TV card to another PCI slot.Then reconnect the power and turn on your machine.Windows will then reinstall the drivers for both devices.

If you still get an excalmation mark in device manager try another PCI slot for the TV card.

USB Controller

The service pack didn't work.

After that I took out the PC TV card completely and then rebooted to see if the usb controller would work when no PCTV card was present and it made no difference!

I also checke in win 2000 admin services and it says that there are no conflicts??

I'm at a loss, I considering buy a separate USB card at this stage, no suggestion has worked to date.

Thanks for your help reverend!

Much appreciated and any other Idea's you might have are welcome!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Peter,
    do you have another OS you can try on this particular machine? Like 98, Me, Xp, etc???

If so, it may be that your motherboard is just not suited (with USB) to run on 2K.

If you can, try installing an alternative OS and see if the USB works.

Alternatively you can always pick up a $20 USB PCI card.

Also, take a look at the following general trouble shooting guide from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242062

have you updated the Motherboard firmware lately?

Enter the BIOS SETUP utility by pressing the DEL key during powering up.

In BIOS Setup, make sure "Assign" or "Allocate IRQ to USB" is enabled in your BIOS,and that the "OnChip USB Controller" is also enabled. Then select Save and Exit.

NOTE: Not sure which category the above settings can be found as your BIOS may be different to mine.

I'll try the changing the bios settings, and see how that goes.

I have Win 98, but I'd rather not revert to changing the OS, If all else fails I'll do as you suggest and buy a new card.

I'm not certain, but I think after I installed Win 2000, I checked device manger to see if all was ok and I don't remember see any problems, which of course, suggests the PCTV card. but as I said, I removed the PCTV card completely last night a rebooted but the same error occured. So it seems that that isn't the problem.

Can I be sure that if I get a new USB card that I won't have the same problem, I'd like to rule out any driver/software problems before I get new hardware.
    Is there any other check on win 2000 that I could do to narrow down the problem?

Thank for your help guys, much appreciated!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I'm not familiar with this TV card but it is possible that it is being assigned multiple IRQs for different functions on the card. You might try putting your old video card back in the system, but making sure that no listings for the TV card are in add/remove programs or in Device Manager...please let us know how it's going.

Problem sorted!

I went into the bios settings as Reverend suggested, I found "USB Function" setting which was disabled, I enabled it and it made no difference, same error after booting.

I went back into the bios setttings and in the peripherals menu I found a setting "assign IRQ to PCI VGA" setting which was disabled, I presumed that this had something to do with the graphics card and possibly the PCTV card so I enabled that and after booting usb ports worked fine.

I'm still not sure what exactly the problem was, so if any could explain it to me, I'm all ears.

Thanks reverend for the help and everyone else for your advise, I was about to throw the PC out the window!

Because the PCTV card was not assigned a seperate IRQ,it was taking the resources from the USB Controller IRQ instead,hence thats why the USB's were not working.

Glad you got it sorted Peter.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    well glad to hear it was sorted Peter. The Bios will go the way of Disco if Phoenix technologies has their way with it.

Actually guys, now that I have the attention of some people who know what they're talking about, I have another question? If I might be so bold.!!

I'm thinking of upgrading my processor, its an old machine, using an AMD K6 processor, 366MHz.

What I'm wondering is, what do Ineed to know about the rest of my hardware before I buy a new processor?

I already spoke to time, but they are as unhelpful as it is humanly possible to be, not to mention impossible to get to speak to anyone who isn't popping their zits in the bathroom all day!

How do I go about finding out what I can upgrade to?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I would upgrade both your processor and motherboard. It depends on what budget you can afford.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Conan's right. Procs and MBs have gotten fairly inexpensive so if you can swing it, why not?