Thread: could it be the power supply?

could it be the power supply?

hi there.

i am building a computer and i hooked up minimal stuff...harddrive, cdrom, keyboard, mouse.

i am using a biostar m7ncd pro mobo and amd athlon xp 3200.

when i power up the computer the power light on the HD and the Cd drive just freeze. i cant open my cdrom either. lights just hang. i can get into the bios, but my HD and Cd-drive arent recognized. i resetted the cmos and took out the battery, did all that, still the same. i changed cables from a puter that i KNOW werx and nuthing. same. l ghts freeze, cant open cddrive and drives arent recognized on bios.

any ideas?

let me know if there is sumthing you wanna know that i might have left out.

thank you.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Jumpers?

Power Supply

Power Supply Cables

Motherboard.

That is about all I can think of.

hmm, well..i checked jumpers. the jumpers on my drives are on cable select. i dont really know how to determine if its the motherboard, and im not sure how to tell if its the powercables...soo....

*shrug* ill fool around with it summore....see what happens..

if any of ya have any other ideas, pls let me know. thx.

well i switched the powersupply to one i know works and the HD light still hangs...and the bios still dont recognize the drive...

so...motherboard bad? how common is motherboards Dead on Arrival?

thanx

ok...worked backwards...unhooked the vid card...then the lights didnt hang..noticed a jumper on the vidcard: pal/ntsc. well duh, im an american and it was on pal. switched it to the right one, ntsc. works fine! *sigh* thx for lendin yer here. heres to always bein in the learning mode!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    beebster,
    what kind of card is that? Never heard of a video card with a Jumper on the board. Interesting. Glad you got it worked out.
    :P

yeah, i was as surprised as you...i dont know if theres sumthin up with these vidboards ive been buying..i mean 80$ for a 128 avi radeon 9200? does that sound right..*shrug*

anways...its made by a company called powercolor, got it from newegg.com. yeah, a ntsc/pal jumper...*shrug* dunno.

anyways, thx.