Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIAA sues man w/o computer

RIAA sues man w/o computer

Music Industry Targets Even Computer-Less
    Wed Dec 3, 6:15 PM ET

By TED BRIDIS, AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON - The recording industry has filed 41 more lawsuits against computer users in at least 11 states it said were caught illegally distributing songs over the Internet, continuing its aggressive campaign against online music piracy.

The latest copyright suits this week bring to 382 filed since the Washington-based Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) announced its legal campaign nearly six months ago.

The group's president, Cary Sherman, said the group has no plans to cut back, even as media coverage over the continuing lawsuits wanes.

"People who engage in illegal file-sharing should be aware, whether or not they hear about it this month, that doesn't mean the enforcement program has been reduced in any way," Sherman said. "If anything it will be increased."

The recording industry is monitoring popular Internet services where computer users can download song files, searching for people illegally distributing the largest music collections. Court-issued subpoenas compel Internet providers to identify their customers linked to the online accounts used to download songs.

Among the RIAA's recent targets is retiree Ernest Brenot, 79, of Ridgefield, Wash., who wrote in a handwritten note to a federal judge that he does not own a computer nor can he operate one.

Brenot was accused of illegally offering for download 774 songs by artists including Vanilla Ice, U2, Creed, Linkin Park and Guns N' Roses.

Brenot's wife, Dorothy, said she and her husband were stunned by the claims, offended at the suggestion they listened to such music. Brenot was targeted in the previous round of 80 suits the recording organization filed late in October.

Brenot and her husband said their son-in-law briefly added Internet service to their own cable television account while living with the couple because Comcast Cable Communications Inc. said it would add a surcharge to send separate bills to the same mailing address.

"There's a mistake in this case," Dorothy Brenot said. "We're innocent in all of this, but I don't know how we're going to prove it."

The 41 most recent suits were filed against Internet users in Massachusetts, Colorado, Arizona, Connecticut, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Illinois and Washington.

The recording industry also said Wednesday that it has reached financial settlements against at least 220 computer users. Defense lawyers familiar with some of the cases have said penalties ranged from $2,500 to $7,500 each.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Surely they can prove that they don't own a PC and don't have an internet connection?

I want to know how the RIAA got the guys Name and address if they don't have an internet connection?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    RIAA sues man in Microsoft toilet.

j/k

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    RIAA sues Sherman for downloading old Nazi propaganda songs."It's legal",said Sherman," I got permission from a guy in Brazil so there". j/k
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Angry

The R.I.A.A. sickens me.......... ........this is too funny!!!!!!!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    next we'll be sued for watching MTV and copyrighted music vids

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I need help.... we are being sued for downloading music illegally off of imesh.... we recieved a supena and now they say we have to settle for a large amout in 90 days that we cannot pay for... what do we do.. someone please help!

Get a lawyer. Now!!!!!

This is the time you need one of those slimy, bottom feeding creatures working for you.

When it is all over, come back and tell us what happened.

That is the problem.... we can't afford one... we can barely afford rent.... we have 90 days to pay them or else they will continue the suit... what will happen? i've been reading on the net about their supenas not being legal.. is that true?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well if your really guilty then you have two choices...

1. Agree to the RIAA 90 day settlement.

2. Get a Lawyer and fight it and hope for the best.

If your not guilty you have three choices....

1. Succumb to RIAA extortion.

2. Get a Lawyer and fight for your rights.

3. Apply for a job making Pepsi commercials.

In this 90 day thing will they let you make payments ? if they will I know how you can stick it to them legally this plan will also work if you go to court and lose

Isn't there some Anti-RIAA Legal support group somewhere ?

The RIAA has made a lot of mistakes with supenas, however they have collected most of what they have sought in damages. The law is in their favor. We hate the way they prey on the weak. The law is on their side and they win consistently.

As far as not being able to pay for a lawyer, you have no choice. It is going to cost you big money, no matter what you choose to do. You either pay up or make a fight of it. A lawyer is the only one that can tell you if you have a chance at fighting.

Most lawyers will give you a free meeting to determine whether you have a case. Call around for an appointment. Don't ignore the supena and good luck.

No it has to be paid in full.... if they take me to court wouldn't it cost them more money than what they would get from me? Thanks for the help guys it really means alot

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokedawg99
    if they take me to court wouldn't it cost them more money than what they would get from me?
    I don't know for sure but I think they also sue you for court cost & legal fee's.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokedawg99
    That is the problem.... we can't afford one... we can barely afford rent....
    No saying its true or not... but you can afford the high-speed internet connection with a good enough computer with loads of HD space??

If it is true, might be time to sell computer, pay bills and just listen to radio. sorry dude, it must be a nightmare...

do a search for the anti-RIAA Help forum... Im sure someone can help.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

how many songs are we talking about here that you have on your computer? can you find some friends to loan you all those cds?