Thread: Subdermal RFID chip provokes furor

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Subdermal RFID chip provokes furor

This scares the hell outta me...

It's a long article so I'm only posting the link. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/34346.html

Be sure and check out the company that makes the chip also...http://www.adsx.com/prodservpart/verichip.html

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    In a way, I think it's neat.

I am a definate tech buff and amazed at how far technology has gone. It would be awesome for one day to walk into a store, wave my hand and have everything paid for. I hate having to sit there and sign credit card slips or punching my pin in.

but...

In another way, there is no way in hell that I will implant that thing in me. Imaging the future of mugging...."Freeze, gimmie your arm and no one gets hurt"
    Last edited by Stripe; December 6th, 2003 at 12:11 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Oh I think it's cool the way technology can be used also. But I'm also paranoid enough to understand that there are always "alternative" uses. Too many Big Brother possibilities for me.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Originally posted by Stripe
    In a way, I think it's neat.

but...

In another way, there is no way in hell that I will implant that thing in me. Imaging the future of mugging...."Freeze, gimmie your arm and no one gets hurt" :d

Now that would make a good scene in Terminator 4.LOL
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I remember the days when we were beginning to utilize computers in government information systems. There were many who didn't trust the computer. They thought that you couldn't trust information stored on a computer.

Of course now, almost all data is stored in large data base systems. The information is available to all that need it quickly. Those systems have saved the taxpayer countless dollars in saved labor to maintain, recall, and use computer records.

As I see it, the problem is not the new technology that should be feared. It is, as it has always been, the bad person using it that is the problem. Our laws dealing with the person that steels credit card numbers is inadequate. We need to put these people in jail for long periods.

How many times have you heard of people that have broken into secure systems, being given jobs by those companies? They shouldn't receive jobs. They should rot in jail.

Don't fear the technology. Instead work to insure that there are adequate and certain penalities for those that misuse it.

If I were a new parent (those days have long past) I would consider implanting a chip into my young children. I lived in other countries during most of my children's childhood. It would have been an added element of protecting them from the evil in this world.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I agree with EFC, but still....there's that hesitation of something unnatural with it.

The other aspect is the type of scarring and such. That thing looks HUGE!!!! Last thing I need (trust me) is an added bulge

Another point to add to EFC's statement....

We as a generation may worry about new technology. But look at some of our parents who wont touch a computer. Then look at our kids who can handle a pc a lot better than we can. I think that to us, the idea may be scary, but to our kids and their kids, the idea may become more acceptable.

Hell, it still amazes me that people pay with checks when they could have a nice ATM/Debit card