Thread: Can A CPU slow down??? missing RAM?

Bronze Member

Can A CPU slow down??? missing RAM?

I have a toshiba laptop P3,with supposedly 650 cpu and 320 mg RAM using winxp pro.

Recently i noticed my system is slowing down doing non internet tasks.

problem #1

a while ago, one program noted my cpu speed is 80 mghz ( i do not remember which program.) this morning, using the tuneup program... it noted i had a cpu speed of 50 mghz.

puzzling over this, the computer's system properties noted i had 192 mg RAM when i knew i had 320. A different program Belarc Advisor noted - confirmed I had 320 mgs of RAM. after i finish posting this msg i will look at my RAM chips to see if it got loose traveling.

and another weird thing, my battery pack is brand new (& i did recharge it for several days)- but i cannot boot up using battery power but when i finished booting, i can switch from electrical current to battery power.

i hope i do not have to buy a new computer.. <sigh>

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Go into your bios and check out everything, check the voltage that things are running and make sure all CPU & Ram settings are correct and go from there. If the ram is going bad it may not like low voltage...
    Last edited by FastGame; December 7th, 2003 at 14:54 PM.

Bronze Member
    i reclicked and secured the ram modules and it is still 192 megs ram. installed dr hardware and confirmed i have 650 cpu and it is running at 650 or so. and i have 192 mg ram as well.

so i am guessing- the "tuneup programs" being less sophisicated than dr hardare, thinks the cpu is 50 due to the low ram and i had many websites up on the screen. and perhaps the additional ram could be "dead"

however, i will check the bios but i have no idea how to check the voltage. any hints?

thanks

The voltage will be displayed in in the bios...don't know what its called in your bios but it will be something like *Hardware/System Monitoring*

Check it with the AC power adapter and then with the battery.

Bronze Member
    i am going to have to wait to figure that out. i could not get it.

my toshiba laptop has a control panel -> toshiba hardware setup but no bios.

i even boot up to bios -F2- and nothing. so i have to do some serious figuring out.

Try the Delete key while booting to get bios...

I never had nor worked on a Laptop so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about

I know we have Laptop users @TZ...where are they ???

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Originally posted by FastGame
    Try the Delete key while booting to get bios...

I never had nor worked on a Laptop so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about

I know we have Laptop users @TZ...where are they ???
    Yep...it's usually the DEL key, but I know most Compaq's use F10 for BIOS access so go figure

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well Reverend owns a toshiba laptop, he of all should be the source of sources for that particular brand. I own a compaq and have tore it down to the nuts and bolts.. know the insides and outsides of it.. but this is what I found for accessing the bios:

When you first power up your computer, view the POST (Power On Self Test) messages. Typically the message prompting you to enter the BIOS setup will be displayed soon after the memory check is completed. Within this message the proper key sequence will be displayed. If you own an HP, Dell, Gateway or other manufacturer, a "splash" screen may be present that hides the POST messages. You can bypass this by pressing the Esc or Tab keys to view the POST messages.

Acer: - Ctrl+Alt+Esc

ALR PC: (F2) or (Ctrl)(Alt)Esc)

AMI BIOS: (Del), (F1) or (F2)

AST, Advantage, Award, Tandon: - Ctrl + Alt + Esc

Award BIOS: (Del) or (Ctrl)(Alt)(Esc)

Compaq: (F10) (do this when the cursor is in the upper right corner of the screen blinking)

Dell: - F1 or Del.

Dell: - Some require pressing reset twice

Dell: - Ctrl + Alt + Enter

DTK BIOS: (Esc)

Gateway 2000: - F1

Hewlett Packard: - F1

IBM:

Older Models - In order to get into the configuration of the IBM setup screen (CMOS) screen you need to hold down both mouse buttons during bootup.

Aptiva - Press F1

IBM PS/2: (Ctrl)(Alt)(Ins) after (Ctrl)(Alt)(Del)

IBM PS/2 with reference partition: - Press Ins during boot

Some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90: - Ctrl Alt ?

Some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen: - Ctrl + Ins

Leading Edge:

Fortiva 5000 - <Ctrl> <Alt> <A>

NEC: - F2

Packard Bell: - F1 or F2

Phoenix BIOS: (F1), (F2), or (Ctrl)(Alt)(Esc)

Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl Alt S

Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl S

Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl Alt Ins

Sharp Laptop 9020: - F2

Sony: (F3) while you are starting the PC, then (F2) or (F1)

Tandon computers: - Hold down the key after turning on power

Tandon: - Ctrl + Shift + Esc

Toshiba Laptops: - Toshiba Utility

Toshiba: - Press Esc during boot

Toshiba, Phoenix, late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s: - Press F1 during boot

Olivetti PC Pro: - Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad Del

Miscellaneous PC's: - Ctrl + Esc or Ctrl and Alt and +

Zenith: - Ctrl Alt Ins

NOTE: Some new motherboard designs have a jumper on the motherboard that disables access to the BIOS. In order to access the BIOS setup, this jumper will have to be disabled. You cannot access the BIOS setup until this jumper has been disabled.

Further information search yielded the following:
    --------------------------------------
    How do I access the BIOS of a Toshiba Laptop?

ANSWER

There are three general ways to access the BIOS of a Toshiba Laptop:

1. When you power up, hold down the Escape key, you're asked to press F1.
    2. You can click on Start -> Programs and locate your Toshiba Utilities and Click on Hardware Setup Options.
    3. If this cannot be found under Programs, the utility may be hidden and placed in your Control Panel for security purposes. Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and click on Toshiba Hardware Setup or H W Setup.

You may also be able to access the Setup by going to your MS DOS Prompt and type C:\> Tsetup.
    ------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Big Booger; July 18th, 2004 at 15:08 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Sorry missed this thread.

This combination works on my Toshiba.

When you power up, hold down the Esc key until you get the on screen message "Check System.Then press [F1] key".

Press the F1 key and that will take you into the BIOS Setup. If your BIOS is similar to mine it will be spread over 2 pages,so use the Page Up/Page Down keys to navigate.

To exit the BIOS,press the End key,and then Y.

Your machine will now reboot.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    well sorry for the delay in responding... i found out i had a week left remaining in my 3 year warranty and so i sent my laptop to the shop and voila... i needed a new mother board and battery board. now it runs well.

i know it is recommended NOT to get a warranty but i think i spent $300 for the waranty but the cost of this repair would have been around $600. so if i had to spend the $600 i would have said - forget it and buy a new dvd/r-w laptop for $1400. so i saved the money and time.

i would have not minded at all getting the Toshiba A25- S308 <grin> but it is such a hassle getting a new laptop configured with the programs and the way you like it.

i wish there was an easy way.

thanks for the help guys.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well I am glad you got the warranty. I had to replace an LCD and the warranty had run out 1 month before.. I was crushed..
    and the $600 price tag that came along with it was like the nail in the coffin.