Thread: Canada deems P2P downloading legal from front page...

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

Canada deems P2P downloading legal from front page...

Canada deems P2P downloading legal
    Posted by Reverend on 12 Dec 2003 - 20:46 1 comment Previous Post | Main | Next Post

Posted on the front page, http://www.techzonez.com/comments.ph...=1&id=6409#add

In a ruling released Friday, copyright regulators in Canada said downloading copyrighted music from peer-to-peer networks appears to be legal under Canadian law but that uploading is still prohibited.

In the same decision, the Copyright Board of Canada imposed a government fee of as much as $25 on iPod-like MP3 players, putting the devices in the same category as audio tapes and blank CDs. The money collected from levies on "recording mediums" goes into a fund to pay musicians and songwriters for revenues lost from consumers' personal copying. Manufacturers are responsible for paying the fees and often pass the cost on to consumers.

The peer-to-peer component of the decision was prompted by questions from consumer and entertainment groups about ambiguous elements of Canadian law. Previously, most analysts had said uploading was illegal but that downloading for personal use might be allowed.

"As far as computer hard drives are concerned, we say that for the time being, it is still legal," said Claude Majeau, secretary general of the Copyright Board.

The decision is likely to ruffle feathers on many sides, from consumer-electronics sellers worried about declining sales to international entertainment companies worried about the spread of peer-to-peer networks.

Full Story: c|net

Eggheads comment:

#1 Posted by egghead (2351 posts) at 12 Dec 2003 - 21:27

This is great news!

I do not condone downloading copyrighted material but at the same time as a Canadian, I am paying these recording companies when I purchase recordable cd's.

I don't mid paying the extra 25c per disc if I can download 200 mp3s of my favorite artists for free and legally!

sounds great and what a deal.

I will go out and get me an Ipod and I am happy to pay the extra $25 knowing that I am paying the artists and they are pleased that we are downloading their music and keeping them storerd on our cd recordables.My future downloaded legal albums will be awesome. They should find away to reimburse the album cover people by charging a tax on ink refills for my printer

cheers
    egghead

What do you guys think?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Re: Canada deems P2P downloading legal from front page...

Originally posted by egghead
    What do you guys think?
    I think it still cost too much to live in Canada I can buy 2 CD's in the US for what a pack of cigarettes cost in Canada.....

You do have cheap drugs

United States of America, Land of the Free...Home of the 5 million laws against Freedom

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    And the music industry is bragging that Vancouver has the lowest prices on new cd's and dvd's in all of North America!

our dollar is worth 65cents to your dollar

our cds are $14 cdn

hmm...

back to the internet
    ------------------------------------------------------------