Thread: Egghead beware!!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Egghead beware!!

from Slashdot: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/17/0214230

CRIA Prepares To Sue P2P Copyright Violators

Posted by timothy on Tuesday December 16, @09:52PM
    from the cold-up-there dept.
    ergo98 writes "The Canadian version of the RIAA, the CRIA (Canadian Recording Industry Association), has begun laying the PR groundwork for an initiative similar to that pursued by the RIAA in the US - threatening to file lawsuits against individual file sharers (specifically uploaders). They claim that CD sales have dropped by 23 per cent since 1999, attributing that drop to P2P, and apparently it isn't enough that the Canadian music industry gets a hefty presume-you-are-a-criminal levy attached on various devices and media." Many readers also point to the Globe and Mail's version of the story. dsanfte writes "They will apparently only be targetting uploaders, because in the Copyright Board's judgement, P2P downloading is legal under Canadian law."

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Re: Egghead beware!!

Originally posted by rik
    from Slashdot: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/17/0214230

"They will apparently only be targetting uploaders, because in the Copyright Board's judgement, P2P downloading is legal under Canadian law."
    This is a "chicken or the egg" scenario, how can you download when no one uploads?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Yeah, it is a catch 22... double edged sword,

Unless you download from a source like IRC where there really is no uploading involved and you get your files from people living outside of canada???

OR you do the FTP thing and download from there without uploading...
    but kazaa, emule, overnet, etc.. all upload simultaneously while you are downloading...

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I have many a treasure of Hall and Oats albums at my disposal to ping off attack!!!

I will make sure I delete all my Rita MacNiel concerts so I don't get magnetted.

I can always replace the mp3 files with noises I made on the toilet
    ------------------------------------------------------------