Thread: Meaning of Primary disk

Meaning of Primary disk

I'm running XP

And this morning when I booted up, I got this message:

Primary Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T Capability Disabled. Replace Disk and then press any key.

So I checked around and discovered I had left a floppy in the drive. I removed it, hit a key and my computer kbooted normally.

Why did the floppy get called the master disk? I know computers are often set to check the floppy drive or the CDROM to see if they should boot from it, but master disk meant the hard drive itself to me. S.M.A.R.T means "Self Monitoring Analysis Reporting Technology" (Hard Drive Feature - Warns of problems before total failure.")

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If your BIOS is set to boot to the floppy, and you have a disk inserted... I am going to guess that your BIOS read your HDD as your primary disk???

Just a guess unless someone else has a better explanation.

BB:

Thanks for your idea re the primary disk.

I've another question. I just, with this post, added a signature which concluded with a www link to my site. But what did I not do that would have made the address into a clickable link? Many won't look at my site if they have to copy-paste the address.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

for your sig you need to use the URL tags:

[ url ] [ /url ]

Without the spaces

Got it! Made the change and I note that the url I had in the signature is now underlined in the posts and that the arrow turns into a hand when I move the mouse arrow over the url.

Thanks again.

wumply

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Just quoting from your sig "However, to get listed on search engines is an expensive and ongoing cost."

It actually costs nothing to get listed on Google.You can submit your site for free and it should be listed within 4-6 weeks.

You can submit your url here http://www.google.com/addurl.html

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

In addition to what Rev says, the more people you have to link to your site the higher your site rises on the google search or that is what I was told.

So submit your site link to be added to as many poetry and writing sites as you can find.

Reverend and BB:

Well! I will certainly follow up on your suggestions. I was under the impression that Google charged some $300 a year to be listed. Even Inktomi wanted $40-50 yearly. I did list on some free sites re poetry (www.dmoz.com--The Open Directory and www.zeal.com)but results so far (it's been 3-4 months now with less than minimal visits.) Those sites noted it could often take 3-6 months to get listed for free.)

Btw, Reverend, after I listed on Google per your link, they did state there that "We do not add all submitted urls to our index and we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if they will appear."

As an interesting aside I am required by my ISP to include the tilde in my site (free) address, but when I checked out Ask Jeeves they said they could not accept addresses with a tilde.

wumply

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Hey wumply if it's any help, I checked out your site...nice gig you have going there.

Hi rik:

What I want is the world!! But what I expect is a bit of my dream if I'm lucky.

Thanks so much for your compliment re my site. Makes me feel real good!

wumply

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Hey Wumply, good to see that you are getting into web site creation.

I've a suggestion: Have each poem on a separate HTML page with a link to each poem at the top. This will reduce the amount of scrolling a user has to do!

This is a great site with heaps of web site tips and examples: http://www.lissaexplains.com/ (Click on HTML Help)

And dont be offended, the site is not just for kids (I use it too )

Hi Supastar:

Got your post and appreciate the link to that lissaexplains site. Willl check it out.

Re a page for each poem...scrolling seemed to me to create a flow or continuity though your suggestion has got me wondering "Would I LOSE that continuity if I had a separate page for each poem?" I will have to ponder it for a few days.

Thanks.

wumply