Thread: Windows and its Virtual Desktop Manager (Powertoys) or deskman.exe

Windows and its Virtual Desktop Manager (Powertoys) or deskman.exe

Hello:

I'm running XP.

This program is downloadable from find.pcworld.com/38165. When I go there it warns me I must uninstall all previous Powertoy programs. So I do that. Then I download the .exe.

Then I install it. It appears to be a normal install. But it's not in the program files, nor is it in the systray, nor does it have a desktop icon. Fine--I did not expect it to be in any of these locations. Nor is there a shortcut in any start up folder. So I do a search. All that comes up with is the exe program I downloaded, which does me no good whatsoever.

I uninstall it (it has its own uninstall deal and does not appear in Add & Remove.) By the way when I am installing it it tells me it will take up 0 bytes on my HD...why would that be?

So I reboot and redownload and try again--same result in all details.

OK. So I again delete and check the registry. I enter "'virtual desktop manager" without the quotes in the registry searchbox. All it finds is:

Name Type Data

ab 001 REG-SC desktop manager

So can someone help me out with what I can do to get the program working and perhaps answer the followng:

1. Why does the program not take up space on my HD?
    2. What does ab stand for or mean?
    3. What does REG_SC stand for or mean?

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Make sure you are downloading the XP version.
    You can get it direct from M$ here

Select "Complete" option when installing.

When you have installed it, Right click on the taskbar, click toolbars, and then click "Desktop Manager." This will put the Virtual Desktop Manager in the taskbar.(view attachment below).

To view all 4 desktops click the green button,to view individual desktops click the relevant numbered button.

You can uninstall via Add/Remove. Look for "Virtual Desktop Manager Powertoy For XP. (close the manager first before running uninstall,Right click on the taskbar, click toolbars, and then uncheck "Desktop Manager.)

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Reverend; December 26th, 2003 at 10:12 AM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

OK. That worked. Thanks. Problem was that I had not realized how I would access the desktop manager.

But now Ive a similar problem. I also downloaded and installed successfully the powertoy image magnifier.

How the devil do I acess it?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    The readme file has all the instructions on how to use the various Powertoys.

Go to Start > Programs > Powertoys for Windows XP > Readme

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks again, Reverend