Thread: MUTE: Secure P2P has arrived

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

MUTE: Secure P2P has arrived

Since the extinction of centralised server based file sharing networks, P2P software developers thought that they got it right when they developed decentralised based networks that do not rely on a central server. These include Kazaa, iMesh, Morpheus, WinMX and so on. While the software developers are safer from legal issues than with centralised based systems since decentralised P2P networks cannot be easily shut down, a flaw exists which still makes users that share or download large quantities of file highly vulnerable to being watched upon and slapped a lawsuit for copyright infringement.

When a user searches for files on a typical decentralised P2P network, their search request is sent to the supernode they are connected to. This node returns any client information that matches their request and this supernode then passes this search request on to other supernodes for further results. Any supernode that has details matching the users search request is passed directly back to the user. If the user wants to download from a result, their client makes a direct connection to the remote address provided in the search result to import the file. All the tracer such as the RIAA has to do is search for a few popular artists or even the term 'mp3' to build up a quick detailed database on who is sharing what. When the RIAA find 1,000's of results coming from a specific address they would (up until recently ) issue a subpoena to the ISP where the IP belongs to and when they get the userís details, it is just a matter of issuing a lawsuit.

MUTE's network has a different approach. A user's search request spreads out as with the other P2P networks, but when a supernode responds to a search request, it sends back a virtual address instead of the actual IP address in search results. If the client then wishes to download from a result, the request is sent to their supernode and then the next in the same series as the original search request went to get that result. The remote peer then sets up a connection to their supernode. This supernode makes a connection to the next and so on back to the client along the same path to the client, but in reverse. Finally, unlike most typical P2P networks, all these communications are encrypted using RSA encryption similar to that

CDfreaks Info

The Mute Homepage

Windows Download

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Anyone tried this yet? Sounds interesting.

Seems you post got cut short BB...

yeah, click the CDRfreaks Info for the full post

I tried it and it crashes often but I did manage to download a few files.. it is still in its infancy as a P2P app, but it is getting there and knowing that you cannot be traced to an IP makes it all the more better!

I'd say by the time they hit version 1 it'll be a killer app.

Give it a whirl, but don't expect much in this stage of development. It does crash and crash often.. in fact every time I run it, it crashes.. but don't let that discourage you. Try it out and see what you think and then imagine it working well..

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    yeah, click the CDRfreaks Info for the full post
    Thanks, I checked out the info. I have downloaded the app and installed it. Just need to let it through my firewall but I wanted your opinion first.

Is there much on the network yet or is it all experimental?

make sure to edit your seeds.ini file I forget the exact name now. Will post that info later.. but you need to go to the site that lists all the seeds.. crimson....com and copy their seed list into that .ini file.

Then you need to change the setup to maintain 10 or so connections..

Then you can search the network. Right now it is growing and is still developmental. BUt I managed to download a few files.

How does MUTE compare?

http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/howPrivacy.shtml

Have a look. It really enlightened me on how powerful and intelligent MUTE really is!

And there is nothing better than military grade encryption!