Thread: A small program to do what the Anykey keyboard does

A small program to do what the Anykey keyboard does

Hello

I used to have an anykey keyboard with 10 keys could be used to execute a small series of commands or macros depending on whatever a given key was programmed to do.

Well I still have it for that matter but I no longer have room for it on my desk, so am using a smaller keyboard measuring 5.5 x 11".

But on this keyboard there are the usual top row of F keys and a lot of keys I never use. And I am wondering if there is some little program that I could use that would let me program 3 of my keys to turn on and off the bold, italic and underline functions I now use my mouse to do.

If someone knows of such a program, I'd love to hear from you.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    That is a good question. I personlly don't know of any program that can do that, but I have wanted one before. I know of one program that give you quick access to programs but it loads as a taskbar (And I find those programs annoying and make clutter)
    I wonder if actually it is possible to do what you want

David:

I wondered too if it was possible. I hope so...I also hope someone has the answer. Appreciate your input.

But I'm also interested in that graphic you had in your reply and wonder if you would tell me more about it. It is most unusual. Did you create it and if so, what were you try to project or say? I didn't get why she was taking the bandanna off and on her left eye.

wumply

David...here's an unexpected tidbit.

I had sent my son a url link so he could see your graphic. And so he read what I had written you initially and your answer. In his reply to me, he said:

"By the way you can do what you want in Word, though that won't help you in other applications. Actually most applications follow MS conventions of control-B and control-U which are pretty convenient."

So I tried it out in Word--it worked fine; it also worked for italics with 'I'. However, I guess you still have to use the mouse to shut B, I and U off. I tried it in Eudora and it worked there too. It did not work in my word editor (Notetab Lite.)

wumply

After my last post I learned there is a way to turn the B, I, or U functions off other than using the mouse. You just hit 'ctrl + B' or 'ctrl + I' or 'ctrl + U' again. Yuk! Not too bright not realizing that!!

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Wumply,

The keys combinations that you are talking about are called shortcut keys. These shortcuts are designed to make a task easier in applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and (like you pointed out) Eudora. Shortcuts are sometimes similiar between to applications, but that does not mean that they will always be the same. Here are a few shortcuts available in Microsoft Word:

Delete one character to the left BACKSPACE
    Delete one word to the left CTRL+BACKSPACE
    Delete one character to the right DELETE
    Delete one word to the right CTRL+DELETE
    Cut selected text to the Clipboard CTRL+X
    Undo the last action CTRL+Z
    Cut to the Spike CTRL+F3

As for the pic that Rik has at the bottom of the post....

That's called a signature. It's a graphic that can be displayed at the bottom of your posts much like a signature line in an email. The graphic is from an animated video call "The Animatrix" based off the Matrix movie. Why she's taking the bandana off? Well, let's just say they were fighting with swords and cut off some clothing
    Last edited by Stripe; December 22nd, 2003 at 16:59 PM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    ctrl+y to redo (after using ctrl+z)
    ctrl+a to select ALL
    shift+arrow keys to select. Left Arrow select to the left, up to up and so
    shift+ctrl+arrow to select jumping from word to word (using up and down select the whole sentence)
    Shift+home to select from the cursor position to the begining of the line (or item)
    shift+end Does the same but to the end
    ctrl+s saves the document.
    I think we once posted some shortcuts. Maybe we should make a threath with them and make it sticky
    Stripe, what were you talking about rik?? I am David, not Rik
    About the signature, I took screenshots from Animatrix and animated them to make a gif file. My idea was to use it, as if she is taking a look at the forum

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    DEHC,
    Don't mind stripe. Phish has him on Zanex...