Thread: Slooow to find Network on Startup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Slooow to find Network on Startup

When XP professional first starts up, it hangs for about 30 seconds while waiting to do something with my LAN, I know its the LAN because I can disconnect the RJ45 cable that goes to my router from the computer and the system will boot up immediately with no delay.
    I have tried removing all cables from the router and it still hangs if connected.

Ideas appreciated

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Are you using this at home or at work? Do you have an IP Address assigned to your PC? If you don't then it is searching for an IP Address hence the short period of "hanging". Try assigning a dummy IP Address like

IP 10.255.255.10
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Slooow Network

Thanks Conan, I tried what you suggested and sure enough the hang is gone, the only problem now is that I cant see either of the PCs on the LAN and they cant see me.

I have a home network.

Pat

I'm not sure about this since I am no networking guru, I would assume that you would need to enter that new Ip Address somewhere for the other computers to "see" it. I will try and do more research to help you out.

Pat Donleycott, have a look here HERE, it is a comprehensive listing of Windows XP Networking Guides. I hope this helps you out.

Slooow Network

Thanks Conan, I tried doing the same to the other two PCs, only I incremented the address by one on each and now they all can
    see each other.

This will be a good temporary fix but turning off "find the IP address automatically" will impact the laptop on other networks.

Thanks again
    Pat