Thread: McAfee Virus Scanner 8

McAfee Virus Scanner 8

I've just got McAfee Virus Scanner 8, thinking it would be wise to update from my old v4. However I'm annoyed with the fact that it seems to heavily use ActiveX. :-(
    Being the paranoid person I am, I've restricted IE's Internet Zones to high, but this is causing a big problem for McAfee VS8.
    I'm wondering if there is any way round this problem... to still use high security zones for Internet use but allow MacAfee VS8 to run normally?

Yours,
    Coffee.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sorry to sound like such a bummer on this but the only way I know of is to use a different AV. Anybodys besides McAfee...

Well, all I can say is... DOH!

Know of any recommendable ones besides Norton?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think Nortons 2003 is hard to beat but I've been using AVG 6.0 Free Edition and it works just as well plus its free

You can also get a one year free eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from M$ and it rates high, the firewall that comes with it is ZoneAlarm

When you remove McAfee make sure you get it all removed...I hear thats hard to do

AVG and eTrust are very good and FREE, give a try

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    coffee why not just make mcafee a trusted site so then you can keep your settings but allow mcafee to go thru

AVG sounds good thanks FastGame :-)

I've been trying to find out what exactly to add as the trusted site for McAfee but everything I try doesn't seem to work. :-(