Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I finally got an Xbox.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Speaking of which,where is old LK anyway?Still in lust?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Lessons learned from LK huh?
    So true..

I don't know where LK is, but if he's there, he's always welcome back anytime.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Big Booger] It's about time I break out into the console area. Came with 2 games, Star Wars the Clone Wars, and World Tetris. Looking right now at how to mod it, and am going to get another controller and the DVD player kit.

So what happened to "My wife and I are wanting to buy a house so no more electronic goodies for a while".....hmmmm

[QUOTE=PIPER]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    It's about time I break out into the console area. Came with 2 games, Star Wars the Clone Wars, and World Tetris. Looking right now at how to mod it, and am going to get another controller and the DVD player kit.

So what happened to "My wife and I are wanting to buy a house so no more electronic goodies for a while".....hmmmm
    This Xbox was a gift from Xmas 2003...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    mm hmm. Really old thread.

I can tell you that if you do have an xbox, there is no reason in the world to leave it at stock. I love being able to FTP into my xbox, make backups of my hard disk, and so on.

The Xbox media center is a must have, as is being able to run linux on my Xbox. In fact, I was surfing techzonez on firefox in XDSL (extra damn small linux)... that was some experience. It was hard to navigate with the xbox controller... but they make a USB adapter that you can plug a mouse and keyboard into. Awesome!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I can tell you that if you do have an xbox, there is no reason in the world to leave it at stock. I love being able to FTP into my xbox, make backups of my hard disk, and so on.
    I got an old XBOX too, version 1.5or 1.6... tried looking into kernals for it, but got confused with the different versions, and bioses etc etc... what's the best for it BB?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    I got an old XBOX too, version 1.5or 1.6... tried looking into kernals for it, but got confused with the different versions, and bioses etc etc... what's the best for it BB?
    The one I am using is the Xecuter 2.3b pro, but the newest 3.0 Xecuters are the shiznit. I use the Xecuter 4981 series Bios for it. It is older but it proves stable for me.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/thedefinitivedvd/xbox01.htm

But if you are getting a new modchip I recommend getting the latest BIOS

http://www.teamxecuter.com/

Has all the BIOS info, but to download them you have to got IRC.

The one I am using is the Xecuter 2.3b pro, but the newest 3.0 Xecuters are the shiznit. I use the Xecuter 4981 series Bios for it. It is older but it proves stable for me.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/thedefinitivedvd/xbox01.htm

But if you are getting a new modchip I recommend getting the latest BIOS

http://www.teamxecuter.com/

Has all the BIOS info, but to download them you have to got IRC.
    Hiya,

I live in Tokyo and finally decided to get an xbox (original) for the media center functions.. was your xbox a local Japanese purchase modded with the chip from UK or was it an US xbox?

Trying to figure out if there is any difference between the Japanese xbox and others that would have an influence on which modchip to get. =)

Thanks in advance.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    well i revisited this issue in the last week or so... A new work colleague told me that he was able to use a software-mod to install a basic linux setup, then he was able to install XBox Media centre (i think he also upgraded the bios to latest Evo before hand - ftp/telnet to the box and install, rather than actual mod-chip)...

There a few guides of soft-mods with 'Save Game' data from MechAssualt/SplinterCell... only stumbling block is xbox dashboard model number, ie this only works for models less than v1.6

I agree the Media Centre software is a great package, and with wireless network (bridge AP), i would be able to stream anything to the xbox/home theatre.

I'll keep u posted

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by madbot
    Hiya,

I live in Tokyo and finally decided to get an xbox (original) for the media center functions.. was your xbox a local Japanese purchase modded with the chip from UK or was it an US xbox?

Trying to figure out if there is any difference between the Japanese xbox and others that would have an influence on which modchip to get. =)

Thanks in advance.
    I heard that Japanese or UK/US/etc... doesn't matter. What is important is that you get the right modchip for your version number 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, etc...

And several mod chips work in a recursive manner covering the previous models. I recieved my Xbox for Xmas 2003, which is a US model. I ordered the modchip from MR. Modchips (a UK-based seller) and it installed without a hitch. I can now play Japanese games on my US xbox, and that is a necessity for me living in Japan with a US XBox.

But beyond the gaming, the Xbox Media Center(re) is of more importance. I use it far more than playing games. I can put podcast videos, music and so much more and play it all on one centralized box. Very nice.

Fantastic, thanks for the replies.

Will head out and hunt down an xbox before they all disappear from the shelves.