Thread: WinXp vs W2K on laptop

Question WinXp vs W2K on laptop

Ok here is the situation. I got a new laptop the other day. It is a gateway200ARC that came with winxp pro. The fist thing I'm doing is wiping the HD because it has all this crap that I will never use. My question I have is should I install Winxp or W2K. The gateway website has drivers for my laptop for XP or W2K so getting the correct drivers is not a problem. This will also dual boot with linux. It is not a gaming machine, thats what my desktop is for. The machine will be used for movies, web stuff, and WIFI. I've never used XP but have gotten mixed reviews from people who have. Is it as big of a resource hog as people say?How much more resources does it use over W2K? What advanages over W2k does it have? In other word why should I put Xp on this machine over W2k.

Thanks

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Personally I just prefer XP over 2k. Probably because I'm used to it now and haven't used 2000 in a couple of years now. I don't find that it is any more a resource hog than 2k is actually, all being built on the *same* kernel and all.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I would use XP and its not a resource hog, you can turn off the things you don't need...XP is the best M$ OS ever!

Why don't you just leave the LT the way it is and uninstall the stuff you don't want ? thats what I just did on my new Toshiba LT and all is fine sure alot less trouble

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by FastGame
    I would use XP and its not a resource hog, you can turn off the things you don't need...XP is the best M$ OS ever!

Why don't you just leave the LT the way it is and uninstall the stuff you don't want ? thats what I just did on my new Toshiba LT and all is fine sure alot less trouble
    I second (or third) the motion. XP is the best. It's a modernized version of 2000.

Originally posted by FastGame

Because I really don't want anything that came with it except for Streets & Trips. When you uninstall stuff, fragments of the program can be left behind on the HD and in the registry. After awhile of installing and uninstalling can cause a slow down of performance. THe LT also has the HD in one big partition. I like to have at least two. One for the OS and on for my Appz.(not to mention the ones for linux) I'll install the OS , my main progs, and then make a disk image and burn to DVD. Then if my system totally crashes for whatever reason (Does microsoft even need a reason?) I can reload the image faster that it would take to someone reinstall just the OS.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Install XP, install M$ Office, buy all sorts of M$ applications that will help you to become a more productive member of society. Personally I like Linux, but I'm not a gamer or anything that's tied to a Micro$oft solution computer. But I do own Micro$oft stock - so I'm in it for the money. Support for Win2k will die out soon. I use my laptop for simple Internet surfing, tracking sport scores, IM (rarely), MP3 work, and playing DVDs. So RedHat linux is fine for me. I keep things sparce.

Well guys I put W2k on the LT and it runs great.......but my intergrated WIFI card does not seem to want to work with netstumbler under W2k. Their website says it will work under XP. I've going to be playing with it for awhile to see it I cant get it working under W2k. Well I wanted to know what advantages XP had over W2k and it seems that I found out, at least with my wifi card.