Thread: lost control over desktop

Titanium Member

lost control over desktop

I was making a post then suddenly I lost control over my desktop. The cursor was moving around by itself and Trillan opened up on it's own - stuff was just popping up on my desktop. I shut down my moden and regained control over my mouse/cursor. I was not aple to close apps. I was able to reboot through start panel. Seems fine now after reboot. I ran Trojan remover and found nothing. I am running TDS-3 at the moment and will run SAV after. Weird huh. I had Emule open at the time - How safe is emule? Can anyone mess with your PC though emule?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Hi,

I have a chorded mouse that has problem, if I move it a certain way. It bounces around and opens and closes many different programs and the easiest way for me to get it back is to press the cancel button on my extigy box.

In a similar note,

If I install office XP on this same computer the mouse will sometime only move up and down for lonfg periods of time until I play with the cable for a little while.

Only does it on the one mouse and every other mouse is fine.

FYI

Hope it helps

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I have a friend who has this occur on his Dell laptop. Every so often, the mouse appears to move by itself. The only way he gets control of the mouse is to keep moving the mouse until he gets control. As for resolving it, sorry I have no information on that. He still has the problem.

Titanium Member
    Originally posted by Stripe
    I have a friend who has this occur on his Dell laptop. Every so often, the mouse appears to move by itself. The only way he gets control of the mouse is to keep moving the mouse until he gets control. As for resolving it, sorry I have no information on that. He still has the problem.
    Wow! that's freaky maybe it's a poltergeist. My mouse does not move at all, it's my cursor that I was having problems with. Just joking Stripe -

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Originally posted by lynchknot
    Wow! that's freaky maybe it's a poltergeist. My mouse does not move at all, it's my cursor that I was having problems with. Just joking Stripe -
    smart ass

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Do a virus scan. Check your mouse drivers. Check for any prank software.. I know there is some software that does this...

Titanium Member
    Trojan remover = 0
    TDS-3 full sys scan = 0
    SAV = 0
    Adaware = 0
    Spybot = 0

I have not installed any mouse drivers other than whatever windows uses (after the reformat). It is a five button trackball.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Try uninstalling the mouse and reinstalling it. Look for an updated driver?

Other than that keep an eye on your firewall logs and be wary of any unusual activity.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Man I LMAO for a long time about the poltergeist. Now the question is, how do you see the mouse of a laptop moving if it is a touchpad or a (little button) "thingy"??
    Anyhow, I agree with Boogs. Here at my work, we have problems when we install a new mouse because or HPs come with a program called MouseWare that is suppoused to enchance the mouse settings but only work well with HP mice.

As another thing not very related. We do have a mice problem here. Some people have found mice droppings. I wonder if it is also related with the Mouse Ware thing?????

Dell portables have a bad problem with the touchpad acting up.Some of which has already been said but here are couple things that you can do if its a portable/laptop.
    1.Download the newest touchpad drivers off of support.dell.com.Should be around 45MB.
    2.Disable the trackstick which most people do not use anyway.
    3.Look in the settings for the mouse.Turn up the sensitivity all to high.
    4.When it happens try putting some force to the right of the touchpad see what happens.
    5.Call dell to have your touchpad and palmrest replaced

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Man I LMAO for a long time about the poltergeist.
    Hehe, I was just about to ask if it was the same one he saw a few months ago ??

But, I get same erract Mouse movements too at work... dodgy mouse drivers, check the System even logs for mouse related errors... I get "Mouse Ring Buffer Overload" errors... on win2k, I just hit ctrl+alt+delete and brings Lock/Taskmanager menu, then esc to get back and all ok

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---