Thread: email/Internet Policies

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

email/Internet Policies

Hey guys. I wonder if you can help me. I want to create some policies for my company. This is a self motivated thing, so I will be mostly working alone in this (alone from my company side) since I want to have it ready when I present for approval.
    I was wondering if maybe you guys have examples, since I am planning to apply a bunch of policies.
    We currently have no policies, and the network is in bad shape because of that.
    I want to present:
    Email Policies
    File Storage Policies
    Computer usage and maintenance policy
    Internet Usage Policy
    Backups Policy
    Is there any other policy refered about LAN/Net Administration??
    Well, if you guys have any examples I will greatly appresat it.
    Maybe from where you work, of Internet.
    TKS

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    A boss asking for advice man what's this world comming to

I say clamp down hard on everyone, if the workers are happy afterwards then you need to tighten up more. If the workers hate you then you know you did a good job and a raise should be in the works for you

Email policy will be business related only.

File storage is only for business related materials only, doesn't matter if you bring your own CD's to burn your P2P downloads, the downloads should never touch the company harddrive!

Computer usage of coarse is for company business only, make each worker responsible for the maintenance on their computer. they need more work to do anyway so tell them if their computer breaks down they better fix it fast! no computer means no work, no work means your fired ! Of coarse if the breakdown is hardware related then you should supply them the parts.

Internet usage..revert back to all the above.

Backups ? hmm I guess if someone's PC breaks down and its hardware related and they have to wait for parts you could send them around to make all the backup's

The number one policy you should have is one thats unwritten and kept a secret, install a keylogger on evey PC

Well, those are good ideas. I already know more or less what I want, and yes, I will be cutting heads a lot.
    RULE #1 company's computers are strictly for work, exept TS department ones, which shoud all get Radeon 9800 pro, so some relaxation software can be install
    Jeje. What I was actually asking for, are like the documents, so I can use it as a base for my proposal.
    I was planning to prepare the proposal and before presenting them I will make them PDF, because that material will be created by me (yes, I will use a model as a reference, but the big guys don'ty need to know)
    I know that if I don't do that, my boss, will present it as his idea, and that will kind of piss me off a little. So, by mystake I will email the proposal to a bunch of people
    That is the main reason it has to be ready when I present. There won't be editing after I present it, because I know my boss policy "We try to make everyone that complains happy, more than anything anybody that is someone in the company" and unfortunately, that backsfire a lot in Net Admin. because I seen that the big guys with the excuse of no time, are the first to brake rules, and how do you impose rules, if the ones giving the example brake them??
    We currently have no quotas, no limits, nothing specific.
    Just to mention that the main director has Gator Installed is enought. Game House games everywhere (They are from Gain Network too)
    We reached 2 weeks ago 16 GB Information Store in Exchange. I only have like 80 active email accounts in Exchange. 16 GB is the top limit, of the server HDD, but even if I had more space Exchange 5.5 cannot grow anymore
    There were 6 accounts that were on the 1 GB
    So I decided to become a mean Net Admin, and cut heads (BTW, my boss Mailbox was 900 MB)

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Dehcbad25 do what I've wanted to do for my customers for years...make the hard drive Read Only.

and boy am I glad I don't work for FG. J/K (the one I work for is bad enough!!)

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by rik
    and boy am I glad I don't work for FG. J/K (the one I work for is bad enough!!)
    Don't worry rik, if you worked for me it would be fun. I build custom game rigs and you would spend all day testing them out

I am a mean boss though....I don't allow game cheats during the test so you'll earn your $ beating the game on your own

Hey Dehcbad25, remember this saying and you will be a successful boss...."The Wolf thinks of others how he is" that should keep the workers from pulling the wool over your eye's

hmmmm....I am looking for another job...

About the P2P, users cannot do it. We use a proxy, so it won't connect
    It could be bypass, but the only users with the knowledge to do it, is my department, and we don't use the proxy, so we don't even need to bypass it. But we don't use P2P because it would make our connection too slow. Our biggest threath for Internet is the streamingof video from CNN and the like, so I want to have a written policy to back me up when I completely cut the Internet from this users
    I had noticed that no one posted examples. Am I going to have to do it all alone??
    I tried a quick search yesterday but I didn't find anything

OK, seeing that no one actually knew about template for policies I had to find them myself
    (actually I came accross them looking for info on IDS )
    Well, here is a site with templates for policies. I think that is great alone, but the whole site is very good. Mainly about security.
    http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/
    I been very busy. Lots of projects. Working a bit on everyone of them, but prograssing luckily.
    Now, if anyone could find the information I was asking about the route tables, I will be more than happy (I am begging)

What server software are you running?

Now that I'm doing this Server 2003 thingy I'm finding lots of ways within the SW to do this but were you looking more for written type policies?

sorry for the late reply.
    You are refering to the policies from the active directory, like security policies and so. That is different from what I want (Thought I would like to have Windows 2003 as servers instead of NT4)
    The policies I was looking for are the written policies. Like the book of law inside the network
    Rik, since you are actively on this stuff, you should take some time to read the SANS page. It is very serious about security. And the policies examples and templates that they have are extremely good. I read most of their policies examples and are top quality. I had to do very little changes to them to fit the company, thought I am sure the Directors would want to change more (They are the first ones to brake the policies)

Thanks Dave

I had been very active as a Network administrator lately and I found a lot of usefull stuff for administrator (mainly for Windows and Domain enviroments)
    Maybe, I should share some with you guys
    How many of us are actually working as Admins??