Thread: Ohio Woman Claims She Lost $162M Ticket

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Ohio Woman Claims She Lost $162M Ticket

too bad...Would you give the ticket back if you found it? I sure as heck wouldn't...I'd have to fly out to Japan and twist off a fatty with BB.

http://www.ev1.net/english/news/news...ject=headlines

A $162 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot belongs to a woman who says she lost the winning ticket, even if someone else finds it, her lawyer argued Tuesday.

Several people have searched through the snow in a convenience store parking lot where Elecia Battle said she lost the ticket. Battle intends to make a case that the winning ticket for the 11-state game is her lost property, said lawyer Sheldon Starke.

"This is a question of lost property, not abandoned property," he said. "If there is one type of property that is not presumed to be abandoned, it's money ... Anyone who finds it is not the owner."

Battle, 40, of Cleveland, filed a police report saying she dropped her purse when she left the Quick Shop Food Mart last week after buying the ticket at the store in suburban South Euclid. She said she realized after the Dec. 30 drawing that the ticket was missing.

The Ohio Lottery confirmed that the winning ticket was sold at the store.

Starke said she plans to hold a news conference Wednesday. Starke, who said his specialty is entertainment law, would not say if Battle intends to offer a reward.

"I'm praying that someone finds the ticket, brings it forward and gets rewarded and from there we all live happily ever after," said Battle, who cried as she talked to The Associated Press at her home Monday night.

Starke initially said Battle would hold a news conference Tuesday to announce a reward, but he said they postponed that because "we have a lot of legal things to tie up, a lot of formalities."

After news of Battle's police report spread Monday night, people armed with flashlights trudged through the snow trying to find the ticket in the parking lot.

"I decided to come back to see if I could find the winning ticket," said LaVerne Coleman, 57, who said she would keep the winnings if she found the ticket.

Police Lt. Kevin Nieter said the family may be out of luck if someone else found the ticket.

"Whoever has the ticket has the right to stake the claim to the winning jackpot. You can file all the police reports you want, but it's not going to help," he told WEWS-TV on Monday.

Ohio Lottery spokeswoman Mardele Cohen said that if someone else came in with the ticket, Battle could try to get a temporary restraining order in court to block the winnings from being paid.

Police said Battle was in tears when she filed her report Friday and did not hesitate when asked to write down the winning numbers.

"We don't believe that she's fabricating it, but there's no real way of knowing other than going on her word," Nieter said.

Nieter said information Battle knew about when the ticket was bought and how the numbers were picked make her story credible. She told police that the numbers
    12, 18, 21, 32 and 46 and Mega Ball 49
    represented family birthdays and ages.

The Ohio Lottery said the winning ticket was sold to someone who chose the numbers rather than letting the computer make the choices.

Battle's husband, Jimmy Battle, has two jobs. The couple have seven children, some from previous marriages.

If the jackpot isn't claimed by June 27, the money goes to Ohio and 10 other states that participate in the game.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    You know I think I'll lose the next one

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Lottery Loser's Shady Past
    Ohio woman has fraud, assault convictions, uses alias
    JANUARY 6--The Ohio woman who told police that she purchased--and then lost--the winning $162 million Mega Millions lottery ticket--has several arrests on her rap sheet, including convictions for assault and credit card fraud, The Smoking Gun has learned. In addition, Elecia Battle is using an alias and has falsely claimed to be married to the man with whom she now lives.

Battle, whose real name is Elecia Dickson, apparently has borrowed the surname of boyfriend James Battle. The 40-year-old pharmacy worker remains legally married to husband Keith Dickson, though the couple is in the middle of a divorce action pending in Cuyahoga County's Court of Common Pleas.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/elecialotto1.html

she must be the biggest loser of all time now

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    she must be naturally unlucky

@rik, you could afford to bring all of TZ over to BB's for a nice party

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    @rik, you could afford to bring all of TZ over to BB's for a nice party

and you know what? I think I would do just that...Bring all my Buds together for a cold one. That would be a cool reason for a first ever "TZ International Convention" huh?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    and you know what? I think I would do just that...Bring all my Buds together for a cold one. That would be a cool reason for a first ever "TZ International Convention" huh?
    I always thought of that "TZ International Convention", at least once a week..hehe

We would have our convention in Las Vegas instead of Japan because I'd like to see what you guys do with the $100,000 spending money I give ya

To all you new members reading this, you need over 1,000 posts to qualify for the TZ International Convention, so get busy cuz I feel lucky

Yay, I got 1000+ , which hotel are we going to book out?! I did like the Luxor

Hmmm 100K, not enough, we need good Million each - just to spice things up Would rent a Dodge "Snake" Viper, cruise the main strip then crap on everyone playing craps

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Guess I'll have to buy my way in since I can't make the post count...

But wait...I'm the host!!

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

Talking

Guess I'll have to buy my way in since I can't make the post count...

But wait...I'm the host!!
    LOL...would that be the host with the most or the postest with the mostest?

Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    LOL...would that be the host with the most or the postest with the mostest?

How about just the one wit da cash?? LOL

If I can't play I'll just take my ball and go home

If I can't play I'll just take my ball and go home
    Don't worry rik, if I win the lotto 1,000 post or not a TZ vet would never be left out

but don't let that slow you down, keep posting away.....

So, FG, how many planes we getting for all the TZ vets to fly to Vegas? How many vets are there, including the mod ppl too ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    So, FG, how many planes we getting for all the TZ vets to fly to Vegas? How many vets are there, including the mod ppl too ??
    hmm I never thought of that...the mods ? oh if we let them come do you think they would try and edit the party...

BB is ok cuz sometimes he needs to edit himself....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    hmm I never thought of that...the mods ? oh if we let them come do you think they would try and edit the party...

BB is ok cuz sometimes he needs to edit himself....hehe
    LOL, very funny... maybe if BB brings some herbal tea we can allow the Mods

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---