Thread: Length of time Word is taking to load.

Length of time Word is taking to load.

My Word version is 2002, SP 2.

I find it is consistently taking 30-40 seconds to be ready to go when I click on the desktop icon. I have no figures from the past but my strong impression is that it has slowed down considerably compared to earlier times.

I have XP. Word files only use up 1416 kb. I just deleted 40 mb of unnecessary files--(disk clean)--didn't help. I checked but the volume did not need defragging. I have a 40 gb drive, 37 gb are free. I've 250 mb of RAM. A reboot does nothing to correct.

Is it within normal limits? Even if it is, I'd appreciate suggestions on things I might try to speed its "ready-to-go" up.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

The info in this article may help.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bit082102.html
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    This was bugging my parents all day! Excel + Word and NAV have been slow to load etc, and this is apparently the problem.

"We had to do a little sleuthing today. Many readers wrote in with problems that turned out to be related. A certificate which Verisign used for signing SSL certificates has expired. When applications which depend on that certificate try to make an SSL connection, they fail and try to access crl.verisign.com, the certificate revocation list server. This has effectively DOS'ed that site, and Verisign has now updated the DNS record for that address to include several non-routable addresses, reducing the load on their servers. Some applications affected include older Internet Explorer browsers, Java, and Norton Antivirus (which may manifest itself as Microsoft Word being very slow to start). Hope this helps a few people, and if you have other apps with problems, please post about them below."

Good 'ol verisign eh. Nice to know the webs in safe hands. Press comments for info on some resolutions.

from neowin
    http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    This was bugging my parents all day! Excel + Word and NAV have been slow to load etc, and this is apparently the problem.

"We had to do a little sleuthing today. Many readers wrote in with problems that turned out to be related. A certificate which Verisign used for signing SSL certificates has expired. When applications which depend on that certificate try to make an SSL connection, they fail and try to access crl.verisign.com, the certificate revocation list server. This has effectively DOS'ed that site, and Verisign has now updated the DNS record for that address to include several non-routable addresses, reducing the load on their servers. Some applications affected include older Internet Explorer browsers, Java, and Norton Antivirus (which may manifest itself as Microsoft Word being very slow to start). Hope this helps a few people, and if you have other apps with problems, please post about them below."

Good 'ol verisign eh. Nice to know the webs in safe hands. Press comments for info on some resolutions.

from neowin
    http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main

egghead
    =============
    Just now read your post, egghead, when I turned my computer on. Wssord loaded in 10 seconds flat. Same speed on a 2nd. try.

wumply
    =============
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html