Thread: Problem connecting to the internet

Problem connecting to the internet

I'm not getting connected to the internet when I boot unless I click on a Repair button on the Support Tab of my 'Local Area Connection Status' window...or disconnect my modem-to-tower cable and reconnect it. Either of the two actions gets me on the internet in a flash. What steps might I take to correct this? The ISP tech had me disable the internet card and reboot but that did not solve the problem.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    when did this start happening...did you install some software lately? what I do to troubleshoot internet problems is to shut the pc down...turn the modem off...then turn it back on...wait till it connects and all the lights are green then I boot the pc. then I call my isp to see if there is a network issue..if not then you know its something on the system. Are you connected thru a router or straight thru from the modem?

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    when did this start happening...did you install some software lately? what I do to troubleshoot internet problems is to shut the pc down...turn the modem off...then turn it back on...wait till it connects and all the lights are green then I boot the pc. then I call my isp to see if there is a network issue..if not then you know its something on the system. Are you connected thru a router or straight thru from the modem?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Phish

My rely of a few minutes ago...I suspect I hit some wrong key (unintended) for all of a sudden the msg got sent without any of my response.

So here goes try 2.

Thanks for the explanation of P2P, LAN and WAN.

Re recent installs: Only one, PhotoShop, of Jan 2. But the net-connection problem did not begin until at least Jan. 5 and more likely it was Jan 7-8.

I tried shutting down, turning my straight-through modem off and then on again and waiting till all the lights were flashing green. Then I rebooted. No problem connecting to the net. So I tried shutting down and reconnecting (did not touch modem this time). Did not connect. Had to click "Repair' and then connected to the net immediately. OK. I tried again---shutting down and restarting (again without touching the modem). No net connection--until I hit the Repair button--then mmediate connection.

My guess is that (1) disconnecting the modem-to-tower cable, (2) turning the modem off and then on, and (3) clicking on the Repair button all do the same thing whatever it is, that allows me to connect to the net.

So what do you think at this point? That I need a new ethernet card? It does not appear that there is a loose connection. Could something be haywire in the modem?

Suggestions as to where I might go from here needed.

Btw last night the ISP tech said there were no problems at his end, so doubt there are any at his end today.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    what ISP are you using...I use the sbcglobal...and they have a repair function. I would call your isp tech support and have them walk u thru del the dsl connectoid and reinstall it.

A Description of the Repair Option on a Local Area Network or High-Speed Internet Connection

This article describes what actions are taken if you select the Repair option on a local area network (LAN) or high-speed Internet connection.

Check this out and see if you can find the item in the list that is being repaired.

Tinker:

I looked at that MS article but had no idea of how to go about determining which of the various actions might be the location of the problem.

Gave the ISP people another call. They had a clear idea of the facts and suggested that at this point if I found it too much trouble to click the repair button with every boot, I should consider taking it to a computer Repair shop.

Currently I can live quite comfotably with clicking the Repair button (which is quick and easy) and probably can for a long time yet. And of course it doesn't cost anything!

Thanks for your input.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    That is easy, but it shouldn't be that way. And not meaning to step on any toes but, my experience is that too many ISP Techs blame stuff on the computer. When you first boot do you have a valid IP address? Do you get a "Page cannot be displayed" message or exactly what?

Problem connecting to internet

Has anyone figured out how to correct this problem? I have to use the repair button everytime I start my computer. I know how to do that but my family doesn't ... so everytime one of them starts the computer I have to come over and hit the repair button. And now I think it's even doing it on my Win98 computer!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi All!
    Hey the title of this thread was mine, and the signature ("I've created my own website...") where it appears is mine but I did not write any text in this thread. In fact, tjcrm's post of today (09/04 am) #9, is the first response to the question/problem I was having. I was having trouble connecting and linking but the morning after I wrote, the problem was gone and has stayed gone to date (Sept. 28, 2005)

Doubt if this post will make any difference...wondered if Reverend would want to look into whatever was happening. Namely that I didn't write what I'm alleged to have written on Post #1 of 13-01-04

wumply

Delete my last messsage (of Sept. 28, 05. 9:26 AM). It was so long ago I'd forgotten about it and it didn't sound at all familiar until hours later, I reread it.