Thread: can a router speed up your connection

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

can a router speed up your connection

Ok before router I was getting 1.3 and fastest was 1.37...now with the new dlink DI-604 router I'm getting 1.5 steady. I'm testing the speed from www.2wire.com and tried different times of the day and still hitting the 1.5 so can anyone explain? Or is it just coincidence that my speeds are better after installing the router.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar
    got the exact same router you have, speeds have been boosted slightly, thanks to the router. its a very handy device, lol helps wiht pppoe isp's, just the proccesser built inines the arm 9 or somethign the second choice when ya choose for firmware updates,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    It has been my experience that routers actually slow the connection down especially over uncommon ports.

Try an actual download of a file over port 80, then try it over some other ports.. I can get blazing speeds over 80, but as soon as another port is used, even when mapped, it still slows the connection down for some reason.

I use Microsoft's SP1 network download as a reference for actual speeds over port 80.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    thats why I was asking doesnt make any sense

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried any real world testing? Like downloading files off an MS server through IE? Have you tried downloading over FTP? How about using a P2P? Does the speed increase apply throughout these different methods.

That should give you your answer. It could very well speed it up slightly but the specifics of how it does that is beyond me.

try out those other methods and let us know what kind of results you are seeing. This might be very interesting indeed.