Thread: Hardware Upgrades

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Hardware Upgrades

My Dad wanted another computer for him to learn to use in the house so I gave him my old PC set-up (P4 2.6 ghz and MSI 865 mobo) and I sprang for some new stuff.

First is the case, its a Thermaltake Xaser III V1000D Super Tower. It's a beautiful looking case with 7 fans and a temperature LCD monitor. It's a bit heavy though.

Then I got 1 gig of Twinmos Twister DDR400. The store didn't have 512mb modules so I got 4 x 256mb. I got one defective module though, so I went back to the store and ran memtest86 until I got a good one.

Then I got a new P4 3.0 ghz multi-threading 800fsb processor. I used my Asus P4P800 motherboard (which was in storage while I was using my MSI board).

I'm still using my crappy Geforce FX 5600 video card. I almost picked up an FX 5900 the other day (cause it was relatively cheap) but it was a really tight fit (the store tested it) with the Asus board so I didn't get it. I guess I'll save up a bit and go for a Radeon 9800 Pro.

For power I got an Enermax 420 watt power supply. I also got a LiteOn 52x32x52 CD writer. They don't give you any free CD-R's anymore!

I took some pics with my camera phone, I'll post them later on when I'm home.
    Last edited by Conan; January 19th, 2004 at 04:05 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Looks like a sweet setup. My question is when is FG going to get for a 64bit processor so he can reign in on your hardware prowess?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Looks like a sweet setup. My question is when is FG going to get for a 64bit processor so he can reign in on your hardware prowess?
    Ahhh HaHa, Conan needs to get a 9800pro first

I'm getting the AMD FX 51 but I'm waiting on AMD to come out with the new CPU pin configuration and ASUS MB to go with it.

Thats a nice set up Conan and man that dam camera phone takes pics as nice as my Fuji 3meg pixel camera. So you own "modthebox.com" ?

Good luck on your rig

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Nice setup Conan.Good choice to wait for a Radeon 9800 Pro.DVD RW's are really inexpensive now too.My Sony was only $165 before Xmas ans they are cheaper now.Hey Fastgame what is the new pin configuration?Read some testing done with the FX 51 and Asus mobo and the thing kicks*ss.For about $800 I could do a nice upgrade.Anyone got some spare cash?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Anyone got some spare cash?

yeah right, I'm married...with teenage kids

Talking

Line to adopt Conan starts on the left. Hell Conan, I want one of your hand-me-downs.
    Last edited by efc; January 21st, 2004 at 16:16 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Sorry for the late pictures taken with my Nokia phone:

TwinMOS DDR 400, oops 2 of them are installed already!

Memory installed

Night pics of the front of my case

Side window at night

Another window shot

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    That's it,I'm not going to eat for a while so I can get my AMD 64 bit with FX-51 sooner.That is one sweet machine Conan.You won't need an upgrade for at least 6 months.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    6 months?? Nahh, just one month.
    That case ios good. I thought about buying that one instead of the one I got, but...I got mine for one reason alone....Aluminium makes it a lot lighter
    I thought though that 10 bays were plenty. Now I need a bigger case because it isn't
    Wanna know what is the hardest part of setting up your own computer??
    Cables. Man, I can see that even thought you have round cables it gets difficult to make it look neat, right??
    This big cases should come with cable management, like in the server racks

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25
    Wanna know what is the hardest part of setting up your own computer??
    Cables. Man, I can see that even thought you have round cables it gets difficult to make it look neat, right??
    This big cases should come with cable management, like in the server racks
    It does have cable management but it's still hard to really tidy them up. I've also used cable ties but that's the best I can do.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Looks good Conan!

Quality is really good from your phone too!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Post pics from the cable side so I can learn from you. My PC currently is a mess inside