Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL, gettin it? Not gettin it? WTF?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

DSL, gettin it? Not gettin it? WTF?

Well I ordered DSL from Verizon on 1/13, they shipped my modem and such on 1/14, and had an activation date of 1/20. I went home last night, put all the equipment together following all of Verizons instructions naturally, but it would not connect. Booted up my other system and connected to my reliable 26.4 dialup. By checking on my order status found that Verizon had cancelled my order the day after they sent all the HW to me! I was only just a tad PO'd...ok a lot. And to top it off their helpline was closed. When I checked the details online as to why it was cancelled, They said that our phone lines won't support the signal and we won't be able to get DSL service at all because of it. This is really frickin funny because my neighbor has DSL from the same company that says I can't get it...and our phone lines come out of the very same box on the same pole!!!
    WTF????

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I presume you checked first that DSL is available to your home.
    http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/...forhomedsl.asp

Your phone line from the box/pole may be an older spec cable than the one your neighbour has got,and therefore doesn't support the stronger,faster signal.

I don't know how phone lines are configured over there so i am only guessing.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    When my family and I moved into our current house, we had the 30+ year old phone lines replaced all the way to the local POP (point of presence). What happened was we wanted a 2nd line put in and the phone tech couldn't get it to work with the existing wiring. He was one of those phone company contractors. He made the initial recommendation to the phone company and another crew came out and dug in the new lines.

We had a similar experience with the cable company.

See if you can get a phone tech to diagnose is as such. Tell them about your neighbor's success.

Good luck.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    I presume you checked first that DSL is available to your home.
    http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/...forhomedsl.asp

Your phone line from the box/pole may be an older spec cable than the one your neighbour has got,and therefore doesn't support the stronger,faster signal.

I don't know how phone lines are configured over there so i am only guessing.
    my guess is that it has nothing to do with the phone line/box

the neighbor has it working and in my area the phone company sells a special splitter that you can use to filter the line and get optimmal adsl

I believe the problem has to do with the actual ports available to the area.

I think for my area it is 4000 or so and they just built it. this would explain as why they cancelled the account the next day the order was filled.

I think that since the order went out that they must honor the order and put you at the top of the list as soon as someone cancels their internet (not likely.. ask me or boogs or Reverend

some areas have to wait 6 months to get additional ports so this is what i think is the problem.

If i were you I would buy a wireless router as a present for your neihbour and you should tap into his data stream... winkwink

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What a frustrating ordeal!

Rev...Yessir I checked it...
    I hear ya guys, but I have a problem with that. I'm in a fairly new house (4 years). We had the house built...somewhat to our specs. Anyway I had cat 5 run throughout simply for the purpose of networking so I wouldn't expect it to be a local prob...at least not within the house. I finally got to speak to a CS Rep at Verizon and was told that my order was cancelled because of an additional feature that is on our service called OPX "Outside Phone Extension". They likened it to a call forwarding type service and said that DSL cannot run on lines that have that. she was very nice and explained that my local service company could remove that feature for me and conferenced me in with them for that. The next Rep looked into the issue and was going to take care of this but lo and behold, That feature does not exist on my phones...back to square 1.

oh and Eggs...that's why we all luv ya Buddy Professional Bandwidth thief.

What happened to the cool sig ya had?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Rev...Yessir I checked it...
    I hear ya guys, but I have a problem with that. I'm in a fairly new house (4 years). We had the house built...somewhat to our specs. Anyway I had cat 5 run throughout simply for the purpose of networking so I wouldn't expect it to be a local prob...at least not within the house. I finally got to speak to a CS Rep at Verizon and was told that my order was cancelled because of an additional feature that is on our service called OPX "Outside Phone Extension". They likened it to a call forwarding type service and said that DSL cannot run on lines that have that. she was very nice and explained that my local service company could remove that feature for me and conferenced me in with them for that. The next Rep looked into the issue and was going to take care of this but lo and behold, That feature does not exist on my phones...back to square 1.

oh and Eggs...that's why we all luv ya Buddy Professional Bandwidth thief.

What happened to the cool sig ya had?

Rik,
    When I was on ADSL, I got jerked off, I mean jerked around like that. I had ISDN, and it was an analogue line. They needed a digital line, so I told NTT to come down and put it in. 2 days later I was surfing on 1.5 mbit. Three months later I went to 8mbit, and then I am on Fiber now.

The need for speed only gets worse bud.. it's a sad fact.

Hopefully they can stroke your pole (your phone pole..) so you can get ADSL in there.

Keep us posted.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Good Luck Rik, I have been wanting DSL forever at our house too, im limited to 28k dial due to par-gain system at exchange. Its soo unfair, SupaStar lives in next suburb and gets DSL, even my uncle - who lives 20 miles further in the bush - can get DSL too!! Stoopid telcos, they dont have ISDN either and no plans in next 30yrs to upgrade exchange or lines!! Only option is Satellite, 1 -way systems but cost $150/mth !!

It was an interesting point from Egg about the ports, this is the available connections from the exchange. So, even though your area is dsl active and your line is ok, you have to check if there is a spare connection at the exchange for you... lets hope your buddy next door didnt take the last one

But also, that wireless idea is good. My mate shared his connection in an apartment with the guy next door, and split the bill etc

good luck Rik.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks...I've got to say that dealing with Verizon has been a "goat $crew". They had to reorder my DSL, and are even sending my another modem and cables...when I specifically told everyone I spoke to that I already had those. Now I'm just waiting for the Activation date...and it looks like the magic number is now 2/6/04.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    xxing my fingers for ya. just remember to put those filters on your phones.

Thanks phish...but you won't be crossin those fingers for long when I'm whuppin yor ace in COD Buddy!!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Another member on the broadband bandwagon...be good to have you there...and see you fall alongside phish

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Those filters are used so you can connect normal telephone devices to the DSL enabled line, ie Telephone and Answering machine etc

What DSL speed package have you gone for Rik? 50ms ping or 25 ms ping for CoD, LOL... I found that halving ping time more than doubles the kill rate in CoD... especially against the "stop, drop and Roll ppl"

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Updated DSL faux pas

Well Fellars it's been a while since my last gripe...I mean update to my DSL install problems. Needless to say, it still is not installed or working. at last post I was awaiting my Activation date of 2-6. That being a Friday I was pumped and excited to get home after work and get it all connected and get online. To my disbelief when I got home my phones were out...AGAIN! This is the 3rd time in 3 weeks and getting very old. Spoke to another Verizon Rep and was given till Monday by 5 o'clock to have it fixed. Needless to say I was chapped, so I waited till the lines were fixed. Monday night and my precious DSL still will not connect. Spoke to a Verizon DSL tech on the phone and after trouble shooting was told that someone would be out within 48 hours to look at their lines and see what was wrong. Well guess what? Once again they are telling me that my lines will not work for DSL because now they are saying that my lines are on a "carrier". Now someone from Verizon Phone Service has to come out and see if they can change that out and fix my lines once and for all.

Will the crap never end?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I feel your frustration man!